Under the direction of the Director of Microbiology Operations, this position will assist in the daily operations of a busy clinical and research microbiology department.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist with the verification of test procedures performed as directed by Director of Microbiology Operations
- Maintain a quality control program appropriate for the testing performed and established parameters for acceptable levels of analytic performance. Ensure the levels are maintained throughout the entire testing process
- Assist in resolving technical issues and ensuring that the correct remedial actions are taken whenever test systems deviate from the laboratory’s established performance specifications
- Ensure that patient test results are not reported until all corrective actions have been completed and the test system is functioning properly
- Make observations of routine patient test performance, including specimen preparation, processing and testing
- Assist with monitoring the recording and reporting of test results
- Review intermediate test results or worksheets, quality control records, proficiency testing results and preventive maintenance records
- Assist with observation of instrument maintenance and function checks
- Assist with the assessment of test performance through testing previously analyzed specimens, internal blind testing samples or external proficiency testing samples
- Monitor preparations for Laboratory Inspections by CAP, TJC, etc.
- Other duties as assigned
- Demonstrate professional demeanor and portray company core values to providers and co-workers
- Strong personal management skills, including time management, planning, organizing and delivery of results
- Ability to maintain composure in stressful situations
- Ability to communicate effectively in person and over the phone
- Highly skilled in reviewing, compiling and reporting information that is accurate and complete
- Patient, friendly, and out-going personality; work well with all types of people
MINIMUM EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor of Science degree in either Microbiology, Medical Technology, Bacteriology or related
- M(ASCP) certification or equivalent.
- 10+ years of handling high complexity testing within the specialty of Microbiology including the subspecialty of Bacteriology and Molecular Biology.