This intern position is for the summer of 2020.
The mission of an Application Engineer Intern is to, under the leadership of a senior DevonWay employee, design, document, build, test, deliver, and support solutions using the DevonWay technology stack (Module Builder) and industry-standard tools such as HTML, CSS, SSRS, SQL, and REST. A DevonWay intern will also gain the valuable experience of working with various industries throughout the United States, learning their business processes and seeing what behaviors are important to their success.
The main deliverable from an Application Engineer is a high-quality, reliable, and easy-to-use application that meets the customer’s needs. By using the DevonWay platform, applications can be built without having knowledge of specific programming languages like Java. Application configuration, however, does require advanced technical skills. Depending on the size and scope of the project, the Application Engineer may also fill the role of Project Manager. All Application Engineers also assist in providing technical support to existing customers.
Key areas of responsibility:
• Meet with customers and translate their needs into detailed requirements based on best practices.
• Follow the agile methodology to design and configure application modules based on user stories/tickets.
• Learn and follow the DevonWay SQA process, which requires engineers to write and execute functional tests to ensure acceptable functionality and prevent regression.
• Plan for and complete data conversions, interfaces to third-party systems, and reference data loads.
• Design, build, test, and deploy SSRS and/or Business Intelligence reports.
• Design, build, test, and deploy key performance indicators (KPIs).
• Conduct training sessions, either over webinar or in-person, for deployed applications.
• Support day-to-day customer operations.
• Perform incident troubleshooting and resolution.
• Work closely with DevonWay internal teams, including Development, Products, Sales, and Business Development.
• Comfortable with relational database concepts and able to create complex SQL statements involving, at a minimum, joins and subqueries.
• Experience with REST and scripting languages (e.g. Python) a plus.
• Experience with SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) a plus.
• First-rate problem-solving skills and the ability to excel in a fast-paced environment.
• Customer-focused and comfortable communicating with customers.
• Smart; analytical; able to understand abstract concepts.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Excellent note taking skills.
• Able to pass a security background check.
• BS degree, or working towards a BS degree, in science, engineering, MIS or other technical field.
• US Citizen.
• Good sense of humor.
• Foosball skills considered helpful in the fun work environment.