This position in the Office of Information Technology (OIT), Service Delivery and Engineering (SDE), Facility Operations and is located at a VA facility. The incumbent's work involves the planning and delivery of customer support services. The primary duties and responsibilities include providing Point of Care Customer Service, resolving customer related technical software and hardware problems in accordance with established policies and procedures of the specific VA facility assigned.
Learn more about this agency
The incumbent works on the development, implementation and management of Information Technology (IT) processing systems. The systems environment includes mini and micro based computer systems networked together in both local and wide area networks and interfaced to mainframe computers. The incumbent works in a multi-vendor IT environment supporting multi-user computer systems. Recommends new or revised operating procedures and controls to meet the operating requirements for system users. Participates with the Chief Information Officer (CIO) in managing the transition to modernized systems. Serves as technical and administrative manager for automated systems, including electronic data processing, word processing and telecommunications systems. Monitors system and device utilization and develops system configurations for both new and existing equipment. Performs system maintenance and repair activities, as well as software and hardware enhancements. Supports the operation of systems/pilot testing of new systems in accordance with documented procedures established in VA. These duties include: baseline compliance; patch management; studying documentation provided with new or revised software and taking appropriate steps to install software; monitoring the use of disk space; preparing routine workload reports showing system use and available capacity; submitting recommendations to improve the efficient use of the system; and responding to special requests for system data; maintain and update system files necessary to control all aspects of system operations and access.
Promotion Potential: The selectee may be promoted to the full performance level without further competition when all regulatory, qualification, and performance requirements are met. Selection at a lower grade level does not guarantee promotion to the full performance level.
Work schedule: Work Schedule: Monday through Friday; 8:00 to 4:30 or as agreed upon with the possibility of extended hours and weekends.
NOTE: Candidates must be willing to work weekends, irregular work hours and extended hours. The candidate must be willing to be assigned to other related services and/or locations, if necessary
Telework: Not Available
Virtual: This a not virtual position.
Position Description Title/PD#: Information Technology Specialist/15263-A, 15264-A, 15265-A
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not Available
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
25% or less - You may be expected to travel for this position.
- #### Job family (Series)
- Computer And Information Systems Managers
- Computer Occupations, All Other
- Computer Security Specialists
- Computer Support Specialists
- Computer Systems Managers
- Information Systems Managers
Conditions of Employment
You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job
Designated and/or random drug testing may be required
Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
You may be required to serve a probationary period
Subject to background/security investigation
Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
Education: All academic degrees and coursework must be from accredited or pre-accredited institutions
Undergraduate or Graduate Education: Degree in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management or degree that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields identified above and required the development or adaptation of applications, systems or networks.
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement, 05/08/2019.
Time-In-Grade Requirement: Applicants who are current Federal employees and have held a GS grade any time in the past 52 weeks must also meet time-in-grade requirements by the closing date of this announcement. For a GS 7 position you must have served 52 weeks at the GS 5, for a GS 9 position you must have served 52 weeks at the GS 7, and for a GS 11 position you must have served 52 weeks at the GS 9.The grade may have been in any occupation, but must have been held in the Federal service. An SF-50 that shows your time-in-grade eligibility must be submitted with your application materials. Note:Time-In-Grade requirements also apply to former Federal employees applying for reinstatement as well as current employees applying for Veterans Employment Opportunities Act of 1998 (VEOA) appointment.
**You may qualify based on your experience and/or education as described below:
- Experience must be IT related; the experience may be demonstrated by paid or unpaid experience and/or completion of specific, intensive training (for example, IT certification), as appropriate.***
- * Specialized Experience: You must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade GS-05 in the normal line of progression for the occupation in the organization. Examples of specialized experience include, but are not limited to: resolving IT problems; performing installation, maintenance, testing and troubleshooting tasks in support of the facility computer users; and phone and desk-side technical support. OR,
- Education: Applicants may substitute education for the required experience. To qualify based on education for this grade level you must have at least one full year of graduate level education in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management. OR,
- Superior Academic Achievement (S.A.A.):S.A.A. is based on (1) class standing, (2) grade-point average, or (3) honor society membership.
(2) Grade-point average (G.P.A.)-- Applicants must have a grade-point average of: a. 3.0 or higher out of a possible 4.0 ("B" or better) as recorded on their official transcript, or as computed based on 4 years of education, or as computed based on courses completed during the final 2 years of the curriculum; or b. 3.5 or higher out of a possible 4.0 ("B+" or better) based on the average of the required courses completed in the major field or the required courses in the major field completed during the final 2 years of the curriculum.
(3) Election to membership in a national scholastic honor society that meets the minimum requirements of the Association of College Honor Societies. Membership in a freshman honor society cannot be used to meet the requirements of this provision.
- * Specialized Experience: You must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade GS-07 in the normal line of progression for the occupation in the organization. Examples of specialized experience include, but are not limited to: diagnosing and/or resolving problems in response to customer reported incidents via trouble tickets; escalating problems to the Lead or Supervisory IT Specialist as appropriate; and recommends new or revised operating procedures and controls to meet the operating requirements for system users. OR,
- Education: You must have a master's degree or equivalent graduate degree or 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master's degree or equivalent graduate degree in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management.
- * Specialized Experience: You must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade GS-09 in the normal line of progression for the occupation in the organization. Examples of specialized experience include, but are not limited to: planning and carrying out difficult and complex assignments; development of new methods, approaches, and procedures; poss