Hours/Schedule: (5) eight-hour work days scheduled (40 hours per week, with a schedule ranging from 6:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.) A 30-minute or 1-hour unpaid break will be given during the shift as determined by the clinic. This schedule may include occasional Federal Holidays, evening hours, and weekend hours as scheduled.
Location: Ft. Hood, TX
-Experience: Have completed formal academic program for pharmacy paraprofessional.Pharmacy technician shall have two years’ experience in retail or hospital pharmacy within the last 2 years.
-Certification Certified by the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB).
Core Duties: Contract Pharmacy Technicians providing services under this contract shall perform the same clinical duties as those required of any military or government civil service of similar experience assigned to the same unit at the MTF. The quality of service shall meet or exceed reasonable standards of professional practice as determined by the same authority that governs Pharmacy Technician services in the same discipline. Productivity is expected to be comparable to that of other Pharmacy Technician with the same scope of practice. Workload will be scheduled by the treatment facility.
· Works under the supervision of a licensed pharmacist and perform technical support in any or all of the following pharmacy functional areas.
· Answers routine inquiries from doctors, nurses, and other staff members on such matters as classification of drugs in stock, new drugs on order, and dosage forms of drugs available in the pharmacy. Refers any questions concerning drug reactions, requests for the order of a new drug, etc., to a Pharmacist on duty.
· Receives requests for prescriptions and verifies patient's eligibility for services. Reviews prescriptions to ensure all necessary patient information is completed. Ensures refill prescriptions are within the allowable refill limit. Screens prescriptions for completeness, drug interaction, and allergies. Enters prescription, select auxiliary labels, and fills prescription.
· Reviews prescriptions to determine the drug strength, quantity and directions for the use prescribed and verifies that the prescription was written by an authorized prescriber. If the prescription is for a non-stocked or out-of-stock drug, refers prescription to Pharmacist on duty for resolution.
· When information is changed or added on a prescription, annotates action taken to ensure that the prescription clearly portrays the action taken.
· Using a computer terminal and automation prepares labels for new and refill prescription, adds new drugs to the inventory, prepares daily reports of prescription volumes, weekly Drug Utilization reports, patient profile, and adds or edits patients to the data base. Prepares prescription labels ensuring that labels show all required information.
· Reads prescriptions and determines kind, strength, and dosage of drug to be dispensed. Correlates instructions on orders within pharmacy policy. If required, annotates, the prescription to assure compliance with dispensing limitations.
· Sets up prescriptions by obtaining correct stock container, counting or pouring correct amount of medication and placing medication in an appropriate container. Sets content and label aside for a final check dispensing by a Pharmacist.
· Bulk compounds, prepackages and labels a full range of products according to formula cards or special instructions. Checks for typical occurrences, e.g., change in color or consistency. Reports problems to a Pharmacist.
· Directs or assists volunteer personnel in prepackaging and labeling prescription medication in unit dose containers.
· Prepares computer labels for this function assuring that the manufacturer, lot number and expiration date is correct.
· Performs pharmacy supply functions when directed by the department chief or the section supervisor.
· Inventories and prepares orders for supplies ensuring that stock levels are maintained.
· Inspects label potency dates on each pharmaceutical unit of assigned drug stocks and removes from stock items that have exceeded their potency date.
· Maintain a courteous, respectful and professional manner with internal and external customers.