Diabetes Program Manager (CDE, RN or RD)
Denver Indian Health and Family Services,, Inc. Denver, CO
- Posted: over a month ago
- $70,000 to $75,000 Yearly
- Benefits: 401k, dental, life insurance, medical, vision
Job Title Diabetes Program Manager Department Diabetes Prevention
(RN or RD with /Certified Diabetes Educator Certification)
POSITION PURPOSE Supervises the Diabetes team by planning, implementation, and evaluation of the DSME program. Maintains AADE accreditation. Educates, treats, monitors, counsels, case manages, and coordinates care and resources for the American Indian/Alaska Native (AI/AN) patients with diabetes. Provides diabetes control and prevention strategies for the AI/AN community in the
Denver metro area.
Manages specified diabetes clinics
Ensures smooth patient flow and delineated progression through the disciplines necessary for periodic monitoring of diabetes complications.
Oversees and monitors the grants funded under the diabetes program, maintains the Diabetes Registry, best practices, financial, and curriculum development.
Oversees and monitors the Invested Diabetes Shared Medical Appointments including group facilitation and reporting
Coordinates GPRA reporting.
Supervises the performance of the Native Wellness Coordinator and Healthy Lifestyle Coach.
Teaches diabetes self-management skills to clinic diabetic patients.
Instructs diabetes patients in the use of glucometers and counsels on the importance of maintaining appropriate blood glucose levels.
Teaches weight management and/or self-management to patients with diabetes, pre-diabetes, and no diabetes.
Patient Care Planning
Works with a multidisciplinary team in the clinics to develop a plan of care.
Case manages patients with diabetes and pre-diabetes
Documents patient education via electronic health record format daily.
Communication and Compliance
Develops policies and procedures, newsletter articles, instruction sheets, and other communication as necessary.
Prepares monthly reports and other reports as requested by the Executive Director in a timely manner.
Ensures adherence to client confidentiality.
Adheres to agency policy and procedures when submitting agency-approved forms and documents.
Participates in community health promotion events on a monthly basis.
Assists with the coordination of primary, secondary, and tertiary prevention projects.
Coordinates early detection activities to identify American Indian people with diabetes.
Performs outreach to other health providers to provide information regarding DIHFS services.
Ensures diabetes department participates in the March Powwow, 9HealthFair, and one dedicated
DIHFS event annually. Also includes events in all deliverables of funding opportunities.
Actively participates in staff meetings, in-service, outreach, and educational programs.
Other duties as assigned.
EMPLOYEES ARE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR ALL DUTIES OF THIS JOB
• Program planning, grant writing and management, effective communication skills [oral and written], and organizational skills.
• Ability to effectively utilize Microsoft Office suite software, Internet, e-mail, and statistical/data analysis software.
• Ability to perform required duties and actions in a professional and culturally sensitive manner.
• Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position.
• Ability to use operational equipment, such as office equipment. Prefer familiarity with the operation of insulin pump and clinic equipment.
• Ability to identify learning needs and assist with meeting those needs.
• Ability to collaborate with members of the multidisciplinary in planning, implementing, and evaluating delivery of patient care of the DSME program.
• Knowledge of confidentiality regulations.
• Knowledge of relevant educational content and appropriate delivery methods.
• Ability to develop and facilitate relevant and effective age-appropriate education.
• Ability to access community resources: online, networking, professional meetings, etc.
EDUCATION OR FORMAL TRAINING
BSN or BS in Nutrition or other professional degree eligible for certification as Diabetes Educator.
CDE- Certification as Diabetes Educator.
American Heart Association Basic Life Support for Health Care Provider Certification/CPR.
If RN, must have CO State nursing license.
• 2 years working with health services agency, of which one year must have been working with American Indians.
• Prefer familiarity with e Clinical Works (eCW) (patient care management system/electronic health record).
• Experience in case management.
SCOPE OF AUTHORITY Few precedents and/or procedures are readily available. The incumbent develops ideas in new and undefined areas which impact the Diabetes department. Resources include IHS and Division of Diabetes Treatment and Prevention guidelines. Plans own work and the work of others. Prepares and develops plans for projects and programs involving coordination with other departments and outside organizations. Administrative work is periodically reviewed at specific steps before completion. Clinical work is reviewed regularly within the team process.
Internal: Personal contact giving and receiving patient care information with clinical and administrative staff daily.
External: Contact by phone or by email with vendors, grant coordinators, and other clinicians to obtain information and answer questions.
Supervises 2 full-time staff. Recommends status and salary changes and performance improvement actions. May supervise/mentor interns and students.
Responsible for work assignments, training, performance evaluation, and staffing.
Works in a healthy office environment working with standard office equipment (such as phone, fax, and personal computer).
Moderate physical activity required by handling objects up to fifty (50) pounds occasionally and/or up twenty (20) pounds frequently. Vision correctable to 20/20 for computer use.
Personal vehicle required. Valid CO driver’s license and proof of liability insurance to operate a vehicle on behalf of the agency.
HRSA Loan Repayment Program available.
DIHFS hires according to the Indian Preference Policy of Indian Health Services. Please review the policy on this link. https://www.ihs.gov/careeropps/indianpreference/
Denver Indian Health and Family Services,, Inc.Why Work Here?
We are an Urban Indian Health Program providing services to the American Indian/Alaska Native communikty.
2880 West Holden PlaceDenver, CO
HealthcareView all jobs at Denver Indian Health and Family Services,, Inc.