At Denny's, we love feeding people. If you have a passion for food and serving others, see what your future can hold at Denny's!
As a Cook, you do more than follow a recipe. A lot more. Because the food you create could be a mood-changer. Maybe even a day changer. Something delicious that ignites our guests' taste buds just enough to take their minds off their problems. So if your looking for a rewarding career or just extra income we are open to that!
Accountability Reporting to the General Manager and Restaurant Manager, the Cook prepares and presents food to order following company menu and food specifications and timing standards. Adheres to all federal, state, and local safe food handling regulations. Exhibits Denny's Guiding Principles when interacting with others.
Key Business Areas:
A "Key Business Area" is an area of performance in which the Cook must be successful to meet their accountabilities. Successful results in Denny's Key Business Areas are supported by the following behaviors or actions:
- Consistently exhibits Denny's Vision, Mission, and Guiding Principles
- Prepares, cooks and presents food to order following established company brand standards, guidelines, and recipe specifications
- Follows correct prepping procedures, utilizing prep charts; properly stores and rotates perishable stock
- Maintains proper food temperatures in accordance with Denny's Brand Standards, federal, state, and local regulations
- Prepares special orders as requested
- Maintains stock to shift par levels
- Correctly calls the wheel when necessary
- Organizes and maintains work areas, coolers, and storage areas
- Assists as needed with product inventory and deliveries
- Cleans and takes proper care of ranges, ovens, broilers, fryers, griddles, utensils, and other equipment
- Adheres to all safe food handling principles
- Completes side work and deep cleaning assignments correctly and in a timely manner
- Possesses strong product and menu knowledge
- Monitors waste and other food cost controls
- Addresses complaints and concerns promptly in a courteous manner and notifies the supervisor of any issues
- Assists service assistants periodically
- Willingly assists others without being asked
- Adheres to Denny's Brand Standards and internal policies and procedures
- Provides prompt and courteous service and is cordial to all team members and guests
- Must be able to lift and carry supplies and equipment up to 50 lbs throughout shift; place items on high and low shelves in storerooms, service areas, walk-in coolers, and freezers
- Must be able to bend, stoop, reach, wipe, lift, and grasp
- Must have sufficient mobility to move and operate in confined work area
- Must work inside and outside the restaurant
- Must be able to work with all Denny's menu products
- Must be able to read tickets, recipes and product specifications, and observe wares for cleanliness
- Must be able to stand and walk throughout a 4 to 8 hour shift
- Must be able to hear well in a loud environment to respond to employee and guest needs
- Must meet any state, county, or municipal regulation pertaining to health risk concerns about food handling
- Must be able to work with potentially hazardous chemicals
- Must be able to tolerate extreme temperature changes in kitchen and freezer areas
- Must be 18 years old or older
- Must be able to observe and ensure product is prepared and presented to company Brand Standards
- Must have basic math skills, including understanding of units of measure
- Must meet any state, county or municipal regulation pertaining to health risk concerns about food handling
- Meets Denny's uniform and grooming standards and maintains them throughout the shift
- Must be able to pass all required tests and training requirements for the position
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including holidays, nights, and weekends
- Must possess excellent guest service skills
- Must be dependable and able to learn basic tasks and follow instructions
- Must possess reasonable ability to communicate in English both orally and in writing
- Must be able to work in a team environment
- Places a value on diversity and shows respect for others
Denny's Guiding Principles
- Guests First- They're more than just customers or consumers. They are our guests and we invite them into our homes with open arms. They are the very reason why we are in business and the center of everything we do.
- Embrace Openness- Open means so much more than just being open for business 24/7. It means being open to all people, appetites and budgets. It says we are open-minded and open to new ideas. Honest, warm and inviting. Open is the way we think and act every hour of every day.
- Proud of Our Heritage- We are the classic American diner and proud of everything that means. Since 1953, we have served quality food and healthy portions at a fair price. No matter where we are, our light is always on inviting guests around the world to a place where everyone is welcome.
- Hungry to Win- At Denny's, we are constantly looking ahead. We are always moving, striving for more, hungry for greatness. We are open to fresh, innovative thinking. We believe we will succeed through teamwork, accountability and pushing the boundaries of ourselves and our Brand.
- The Power of We- Our Denny's family is our most important asset. We trust, support and respect each other and work together for the greater good. We recognize the contributions of all and empower each and every one of us to achieve great things. Together, we will celebrate our successes and have fun doing it.
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employees assigned to this position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or tasks which may be required to be performed in this position.
Denny's may amend, change, or modify the responsibilities and duties of this position to meet business needs as necessary.
This job description does not constitute a contract for employment and may be changed at the discretion of Denny's or the franchise owner with or without notice.