Democracy Fund is a bipartisan foundation that invests in organizations working to ensure that our political system is able to withstand new challenges and deliver on its promise to the American people. We work on things that make democracy work better.
At the heart of our vision for the future are three core commitments: fostering more effective governance in the United States, modernizing our election and campaign finance systems, and strengthening our media and the public square to help people understand and participate in the democratic process. To date, we have committed more than $100 million in support of a healthy democracy.
Out of deep respect for the U.S. Constitution and our nation’s core democratic values, Democracy Fund was established by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar. Incubated inside Omidyar Network, Democracy Fund launched as an independent foundation in 2014 and is based in Washington, D.C.
Learn more about Democracy Fund and our sister 501(c)(4) organization Democracy Fund Voice by visiting www.democracyfund.org and www.democracyfundvoice.org.
Democracy Fund is seeking an enthusiastic and detail-oriented Staff Accountant to lead our day-to-day Accounts Payable processes. All of our staff, vendor, and grantee payments go through the Staff Accountant, making this role critical in ensuring that our partners receive the very best customer service in the delivery of the resources they need to make our democracy work better.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about making systems and processes more efficient, and will be energized by working in a collaborative, mission-oriented nonprofit environment. The Staff Accountant will join an established Operations team, playing a key role in making our Finance function right-sized to the needs of the organization as we continue to evolve. The Staff Accountant also will support Democracy Fund Voice, a 501(c)(4) social welfare organization, and will report to the Accounting Manager.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Our work environment is collaborative and fast-paced. Our people are passionate about what they do. On an average day, you will be responsible for:
ACCOUNTING AND FINANCE
- Review all invoices and expenses for appropriate documentation, approval, and consistency with our policies and procedures prior to payment.
Process vendor, grant, and staff reimbursement payments in a timely and accurate manner, and respond to colleague and vendor questions on the status of payments.
Coach internal colleagues on using Expensify, our expense management system, including offering feedback on proper coding and documentation of expenses.
Partner in system refinements and their execution to ensure first class customer service, both internally and externally.
Participate in month-end closing activities including journal entries and other analysis.
Reconcile and ensure accuracy of assigned general ledger accounts.
Maintain the Fixed Asset and associated depreciation schedules.
Maintain electronic files in accordance with our Document Retention Policy and accepted accounting practices.
Maintain vendor, grantee, and staff data in the expense reporting, general ledger, and contracts/grants cloud-based systems.
Assist with preparation of the annual Form 1099, Form 990, and audit processes.
Perform other accounting, financial, or administrative tasks as requested by the Controller or the Accounting Manager.
- Perform other accounting, financial, or administrative tasks as requested by the Controller or the Accounting Manager.
Coordinate meetings, events, and provided other support as needed of the Finance team.
Actively work to support the success of other members of the entire Democracy Fund team and cultivate an organizational culture that is highly collaborative, positive, and productive.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS:
- Passion for strengthening American democracy.
- Associate’s degree or Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, or a related field.
- Three or more years of experience with data entry (accounts payable, accounts receivable, and journal vouchers) into a general ledger system, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Flexibility and initiative to work both independently and as part of a team with an emphasis on proactive communication, accuracy, and timeliness.
- Ability to manage and make progress on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Meticulous organization and follow through in the prioritization and execution of multiple tasks, with excellent rigorous attention to detail and customer service.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written), including the willingness and ability to communicate and collaborate with a diversity of leaders and stakeholders from across the organization.
- Experience with multi-string general ledger accounts and associated reporting; experience performing accounting functions in a paperless, cloud-based environment a plus.
- Intermediate level experience with Microsoft Excel – very knowledgeable of basic formulas like SUM, COUNT, MROUND, and AVERAGE and proficient with more advanced formulas like IF, VLOOKUP, and HLOOKUP .
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite in a Mac environment preferred. While not required, applicants should note if they have experience with Microsoft Dynamics GP, Adaptive Insights, Fluxx, Expensify, Intacct, NetSuite, and/or Bill.com.
- This role is based in Washington, D.C.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume. No calls please.
Democracy Fund is committed to a diverse workplace, seeking voices and expertise from people from across the political spectrum. Our board, staff, advisors, and grantees include Republicans, Democrats, and Independents. Democracy Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer, where we encourage candidates of all ages, color, ethnic background, country of origin, religion, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, and gender identity to apply.