Lead or Senior Field Service Technician
- Posted: over a month ago
Delta Star is the largest, American-owned medium power transformer manufacturer in the United States and the premier manufacturer of mobile transformers and mobile power substations in North America. Delta Star has an immediate opening for Lead or Senior Field Service Technician (Remote)
Full Time, Salary Position
Delta Star provides power solutions for utilities across North America. This includes the manufacturing of medium-power transformers, mobile transformers, mobile electrical substations, trailers, and unitized substations. We offer power transformers for utility applications including power and distribution, transmission voltages, system ties, and automatic voltage regulations, as well as industrial applications. Delta Star also provides comprehensive engineering, testing, maintenance services, and parts for any transformer manufacturer through our Field Service business unit, ensuring our customer's transformers and mobiles maintain peak performance.
The job duties will include leading moderate to complex projects as a part of a crew in the assembly, vacuum oil fill, testing, maintenance, and/or repair of power transformers for any original equipment manufacturer (OEM) brands. Equipment size voltages can range from 480V up to 800kV. The primary work setting will be outdoors and will be accomplished during all climatic conditions. Tasks may require moderate to heavy amounts of physical effort and an understanding that electrical hazards may exist. Attention to safety is required.
- Perform hands-on assembly, repairs, and maintenance to transformers and our service equipment. This includes mechanical and electrical connections on or inside the transformer.
- Lead crews in maintenance services such as gasket & bushing replacements, retro oil fills, LTC inspections/repairs, relocations, template testing, weld repairs, & similar maintenance projects.
- Must be capable of operating the oil processor and completing all tests with zero guidance.
- Interface with customer contacts as needed to inform them of updates and the scope as needed. Provide leadership throughout the project to support the team so that all tasks are completed safely, timely, and with the upmost quality.
- Must be capable of supervising non-Delta Star crews during installations.
- Assist in training Level 1 & Level 2 Field Service Technicians on the task procedures, hazards, and general best practices standards.
- Complete and submit all supporting documentation from the project accurately and timely. Maintain bi-monthly timesheets and weekly expense reports for a timely submittal.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Advanced Testing: Capable of troubleshooting standard testing issues, and can perform non-standard DSFS tests, including but not limited to: winding resistance, leakage reactance, current transformer tests (ratio/polarity/saturation), SFRA, and complete function testing of gauges/SPRs/PRDs/buchholz relays/etc. Can interpret and/or understands acceptable test results.
- Assembly Assistance: Capable of foreseeing potential issues during assembly before they occur. Employee experienced enough to handle issues presented by customers, missing parts, unique transformers with little to no aid from management.
- Customer/Contact Communication: Able to interface with the customer/representative for information or requests, and to verify customer satisfaction.
- Advanced Processor Knowledge: Possesses a complete understanding of vacuum processing, is fully capable of completing any documentation required during oil processing, properly stocks the oil processor before a job, and performs repairs/preventative maintenance on the processor/equipment.
- Conservator Tank Knowledge: Able to correctly identify and install conservator components and can properly prepare a conservator unit for energization. To include interpreting conservator designs, installing loose tubing/preparing new tubing, installing buchholz relays, and bleeding the unit of trapped air.
- Leadership Potential: High affinity in leading a crew of workers, attention to detail, monitoring the crew, reporting incidents, practice and knowledge of each work sites safety regulations.
- Punctuality in submitting report data: Upon completion of jobs, frequently submits collected data within 5 days - submissions will include all possessed data in totality - & conform to work scope specification, with few/no reminders required to submit data.
- Processor Operational Aptitude / Vacuum Processing: Familiarity with vacuum processing operations, capability of identifying vacuum pump issues, capability of maintaining vacuum pumps, capability of understanding/maintaining oil monitors and associated in-line systems.
- Control Cabinet Knowledge: Familiar with control elements, comfortable servicing control terminals, can run new controls to preexisting systems, can diagnose control issues, understanding of control element interactions, comfortable with installing new work, servicing old work, or performing retrofits.
- Work Preparedness: Studies the job work scope, prepares equipment ahead of time, speaks with team members about the planned job, knows the scheduled dates and times.
- Drawing Literate: Can interact with transformer drawings or understand transformer instruction, can identify components by label in conjunction with engineering drawings, can locate components based on design illustrated in drawings, comprehends drawing ratings, instructions, notes & labels.
- Testing Speed: Completes tests in an orderly and timely fashion, wasted time is actively reduced to a minimum during test phase.
- Mobile Transformer Knowledge: Experience servicing mobile transformers and associated external components - switch/breaker trailers - motive components - jacks, etc. Desired experience in gas circuit breakers, circuit switchers, switchgear, protection, controls, and/or relays or a combination of High Voltage substation experience preferred.
- LTC Maintenance Autonomy: Minimal assistance required in the maintenance of various models of Load Tap Changers (LTC's).
- Oil Knowledge and Handling Knowledge: knowledge of what steps, in what order, and what devices to use to handle transformer oil, required oil containment materials, aptitude in oil spill procedures and oil disposal) (I.E. type, characteristics, & operational limits/test criteria.
Education & Experience
- Must have a minimum of 5 years of experience in servicing transformers in the field for the "Lead" position or a minimum of 8 years of experience for the "Senior" position. Associates or Bachelor's degree in engineering or technical field is preferred and can be substituted for years of experience. Alternatively, a special combination of education, experience, and/or demonstrated accomplishments can be evaluated and accepted at the discretion of Delta Star Field Service management.
- Class A driver's license is preferred but a valid driver's license and DOT medical card is required.
- Must complete OSHA 30, OSHA 1910.269, and First Aid/CPR/AED training within the first 3 months of hire.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Must be computer literate and continually display professionalism.
- Must have a positive attitude, strong work ethic, and the desire to learn new skills.
- Must be willing to travel approximately 80% of the time or based on customer/market demand.
- Willing to travel to work locations in any manner necessary to complete the project (drive/fly). Willing to work at assigned times for long/unexpected durations, shows willingness to work a full schedule, and is comfortable/safe working in less-than-desirable job site conditions (I.E. cold/hot/precipitation/live substations/unknown transformers, etc.)
Medical, Dental, Vision, 401K, ESOP, Life and Disability Insurance, Paid Time Off, Floating Holidays, and Sick Pay
AAP/EEO STATEMENT Delta Star is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Delta Star Inc
EngineeringView all jobs at Delta Star Inc
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?