Technical Writer - Senior Level (Aircraft Technical Directives)
- Posted: over a month ago
Technical Writer - Senior Level
Aircraft Technical Directives
Dayton T. Brown, Inc. (DTB) has been synonymous with the pursuit of excellence and customer service for over 70 years. Our Technical Services Division provides technical documentation, communication, and logistics/maintenance planning services for some of the biggest names in the industry. As a Senior Level Technical Writer (Aircraft Technical Directives) you will be required to work on-site, Monday- Friday. as a full-time permanent employee.
Come Join an amazing. talented group of individuals!
Under limited direction, this position is responsible for developing aircraft retrofit procedures (technical directives) for field modification teams. Technical directives provide detailed instructions to modify/upgrade the airframe, avionics and/or electrical systems for improved mission capability. The senior technical writer will author these comprehensive procedures from approved engineering source data and submit to engineering for review and comment incorporation to produce a Validation Draft Technical Directive (TD). Upon completion of the approved TD, the senior technical writer will travel on-site to attend the aircraft validation to witness and redline the TD to reflect real-time changes required to perform the actual installation. The senior technical writer is also responsible to generate and track Kit Discrepancy Reports (KDR's) as a means to recommend engineering changes against the approved engineering drawings to reflect the actual installation. As the Validation Manager, the senior technical writer must represent the company in the most professional manner possible and communicate effectively with all on-site management and aircraft technicians alike.
In this role you will also need to be flexible and work closely with the DTB team of technical writers, illustrators, production and managers. You will be tasked to ensure the team is following DTB processes and company work instructions; to consistently produce accurate, high quality documents while working in a fast paced environment; and be able to multi-task, and work independently.
Duties and Responsibilities will include:
The candidate shall be responsible for project technical data tracking, versioning and life cycle within DTB's Tech Suite and be the subject matter expert (SME) with assigned project writing specifications (NAVAIR 00-25-300 and Technical Directive's Author's Guide - Special Service Instructions, etc.).
- Strictly adhere to all requirements as specified in the Statement of Work (SOW).
- Ensure appropriate technical information and data is accumulated through researching and analyzing project engineering drawings, test procedures, design specifications/documentation, and software description documents.
- Read, interpret and analyze engineering drawings/source data (mechanical, avionics, electrical, etc.) to develop the required aircraft modification and operational test procedures.
- Responsible to lead the development of detailed aircraft modification procedures from Modification Kit Drawings and operational test procedures from production Acceptance Test Procedures (ATP's).
- Responsible for developing the detailed TD Kit List from the applicable Engineering Drawing Parts Lists. The TD Kit List is a critical component of the technical directive and must be accurate and complete prior to performing the real-time parts inventory on-site at the validation.
- Ensure clear, concise and accurate technical documentation is authored, and that the team is adhering to the processes required by the project.
- When required, collaborate effectively with Subject Matter Experts such as engineers, technicians, and publications personnel.
- Actively lead team meetings, and interface with illustrators and production personnel to support the development of technical documentation.
- Analyze validity and impact of customer comments.
- Ensure team assignments are completed in timely manner to facilitate on-time delivery of technical content to our customers based on the approved milestone schedule.
- Work closely with field modification maintenance technicians, quality assurance representatives and on-site management in the most productive and efficient manner possible.
The ideal Candidate will need:
- BA College Degree, or 9+ yrs. equivalent work experience
- Able to think critically and compare source data files (engineering data, blueprints, Excel files, PDFs, PowerPoints, etc.) to produce technical data used in technical publications
- Able to troubleshoot and to think outside the box
- In-depth knowledge of XML or SGML, and IETMs/IETPs
- Knowledge of MS Word, Excel, FrameMaker, Arbortext Editor, and/or Oxygen, or equivalents, and working knowledge of Mil Specifications
- Able to multitask and switch priorities based on customer requirements
- Consistent and clear in your written and communication skills, and a quick learner
- Organized, dependable, have a positive attitude and ability to self-start
- Experienced in proper data management/tracking practices and time management skills
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment with aggressive milestone deliverables
- Willing to travel to aircraft validation sites for extended periods of time, as required
- Eager to accept a challenge
- Able to work overtime
- On-Site Position: Monday - Friday
- US Citizenship is REQUIRED
As an employee of Dayton T Brown, you can expect a great working environment which provides security and opportunity to grow within the company and much more such as:
- Tuition reimbursement
- A stable, successful organization
- Innovative work environment
- Advancement potential
- Private medical, vision and dental insurance
- Profit sharing, 401K
- Work/Life balance and family values
Dayton T. Brown, Inc. is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class.
Job Posted by ApplicantPro
Dayton T. Brown, Inc.
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?