The Akilah Foundation, a US 501(c)(3) nonprofit, is committed to expanding access to high-quality education worldwide by supporting innovative programs and learning environments. The Akilah Foundation supports Davis College | Akilah, the only college for women in Rwanda, and Davis College, a global co-ed network of universities. Davis College offers degrees to male and female students, with an ambitious vision for scale, while Davis College | Akilah serves as a unique environment for female students.
Davis College Hong Kong and Davis College Rwanda will open in 2020. By 2030, Davis will open 10 campuses in Africa and Asia and educate 1 million students.
The Davis academic pillars (21st-century skills, personalized learning, innovation, ethical leadership, and sustainability) will serve as its guiding light during this phase of rapid expansion. They define all of the institute's programs. Davis is committed to delivering a transformative learning experience that equips students with the knowledge and skills needed to thrive in careers in the fastest growing sectors of the economy.
We are seeking a highly organized and energetic events expert to plan and execute extraordinary events in the US and internationally, with a focus on creating experiences to attract and engage major donors and other supporters.
You will be responsible for driving and delivering revenue targets, producing events varying in size and scope that elevate the Davis College and Akilah brands and ensuring that every aspect of event production is done with excellence.
This position is ideal for you if you are you are a passionate events management expert who thrives on flawless execution, can define strategy as well as execute as a rock-star individual contributor, and enjoys the challenge of successfully completing a project without an existing roadmap.
The position requires both US and international travel and early morning or evening calls to accommodate colleagues in different time zones.
Akilah is in the midst of an ambitious and exciting multi-year campaign in celebration of our 10-year Anniversary. The Decennial Campaign aspires to a significant financial goal of $26 million by 2024, in support of students, faculty, and global innovation. We seek to strengthen and expand creative partnerships with industry, government, academic leaders, and —most important— the generous and passionate donor community that has brought this vision to life.
This ambitious campaign will fuel our global expansion and exponentially increase our impact on young people around the world. We are engaging the support of our entire community: alumni, parents, foundations, corporate partners, faculty, staff, students, and friends. The Decennial will include galas, summits, luncheons, and digital campaigns in support of our global expansion.
- Manage planning and execution of all Decennial Campaign events, ensuring a seamless rollout and attainment of revenue goals.
- Manage events of varying size and scope throughout the year (with outside vendors as necessary), including but not limited to:
- overall theme and production
- food and beverage
- set up
- speaker recruitment
- registration, and
- post-event follow up;
- Rally cross-functional resources, such as the executive team, to drive interest in and registrations for event;
- Plan pre-event communications and activities to support attendance at events;
- Support the creative team on various elements of event design and communications;
- Manage Event Committees to ensure volunteers' skill sets are utilized and leveraged appropriately; and
- Implement a moves management strategy for all potential event sponsorship donors to ensure that they are moving through the giving funnel timely and effectively.
Engage with the Decennial Campaign Event Community
- Network and enlist the support of individuals, foundations, and corporations, building relationships with current and future donors within campaign cities;.
- Share our work and mission with the broader community in campaign cities - in conjunction with Akilah leadership - to attract new funding sources.
- Represent the organization at committee meetings.
Required Education & Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in hospitality management, marketing, business, communications, or related fields (or equivalent experience);
- At least 5 years experience in event planning and management with at least 2 years experience managing global events; and
- Proven track record of successfully managing events and driving event-related revenue.
Desired Skills and Qualifications (Our ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of the following skills and characteristics):
- Willingness to work in an “all hands-on deck” environment and engage in a variety of tasks
- You are relentlessly resourceful and refuse to be slowed down by anything in your way. You push to get access to the resources you need, can contribute to unsustainable effort when the situation calls for it, and be creative in finding ways to remove blocks.
- You have an exceptional ability to organize and manage details, while not losing sight of the larger goals. You can see the forest AND the trees.
- You are exceptionally motivated by the idea of building a global community of lifelong learners. This is not a 9-to-5 position and we are not a 9-to-5 organization. You are ready and willing to do whatever it takes to ensure success.
- You are an enthusiastic proponent and impeccable user of all systems available to you to continually drive improvements in operational efficiency.
- You love taking ideas and running with them. You can draw the owl and complete projects without an exact roadmap for how to get them done.
- You are skilled at cross-functional collaboration and execution.
- You possess a high level of emotional intelligence and the ability to earn the trust of your peers, the board, donors, committee chairs and other key partners.
- You are skilled at moving quickly, prioritizing critical tasks with grace and tenacious follow up in a fast-paced startup environment.
- You approach your work with a commitment to building a positive organizational culture that values continuous learning, excellence, transparency, honest feedback, perseverance, and sense of humor.
Work Environment/Physical Requirements:
No specific physical requirements.
Job Responsibilities Statement:
The above statements reflect the general duties, responsibilities and competencies considered necessary to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the job and should not be considered as a detailed description of all the work requirements of the position. Akilah may change the specific job duties with or without prior notice based on the needs of the organization.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Project Akilah, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, or non-disqualifying physical or mental handicap, disability, or any other protected class per federal, state, or local law.
Americans with Disabilities Act:
Applicants as well as employees who are or become disabled must be able to perform the essential duties & responsibilities either unaided or with reasonable accommodation. The organization shall determine reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis in accordance with applicable law.