Since 2007, Dark Heart Nursery (DHN) has specialized in cultivating high quality clones for growers across California. Our years of experience allow us to produce premium clones from both popular and emerging genetic lines that perform well in a variety of settings. In 2019 DHN is expanding into additional facilities to bring on more capacity and to lower the cost of production. DHN has operated a cannabis tissue culture lab since 2014 and is now further developing the plant biotech side of the business into plant pathology, virus eradication, and breeding. It is an exciting time to join the team at DHN as we look to scale the business and dominate the cannabis nursery space.
The Finanical Controller will be responsible for all Finance and Accounting operations. The ideal candidate will collaborate with other executive staff on top level business projects and priorities. The director is expected to be a “public face” and champion of the company, especially to investors, recruits, regulators, elected officials, and business partners.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities: (including but not limited to)
- Manage all aspects of the accounting and finance operations;
- Manage the timely close each month and the issuance of monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements;
- Report on monthly Budget vs. Actual variances and by department;
- Review and refine existing accounting policies and procedures. Implement new systems to improve efficiency and timely reporting. Create actionable intelligence for managers;
- Manage annual tax returns preparation with outside CPA firm;
- Manage creation and commentary of financial statements and operations reports according to GAAP standards, with an eye on attention to detail while maintaining a big picture perspective;
- Review accounting out-sourcing options and onboard provider(s) to save cost on accounting functions;
- Manage existing banking relationships and develop new relationships in the complex cannabis banking environment.
Business Planning and Forecasting
- Provide business analysis, Dashboards, KPIs, forecasting and financial planning;
- Manage annual strategic planning and budgeting process with each department manager with an eye for process improvements;
- Oversee all F & A vendor relationships;
- Develop project and proforma financials to support growth initiatives and financing activities.
- Assist the CEO on investor relations, fundraising and stakeholder reporting;
- Assist in financing company activities by generating finance leads and cultivating professional networks that can be looked to for the finance leads;
- Participate in prospective and current investor meetings to build investor confidence in the organization.
- Act as finance lead in company-wide Microsoft Dynamics NAV ERP deployment;
Controlling and Auditing
- Implement and monitor controls to ensure compliance with tax laws across many jurisdictions;
- Provide direction and hands-on management of company-wide financial and accounting controls;
- Implement and monitor controls to ensure compliance with state cannabis regulatory framework;
- Working with management team to identify risks and insurance requirements, and work with insurance brokers/companies to acquire appropriate insurance policies.
- Lead periodic corporate strategy activities contributing value to the identification and selection of strategic corporate priorities;
- Participate in cannabis industry and other professional events, such as trade shows, conferences, training seminars, charitable events, etc. Develop professional network and seek opportunities for recruitment and business growth.
- Seek out opportunities to develop the company’s public image by engaging in interviews, speaking opportunities, guest columns, etc.;
- Work in and/or lead teams as needed to help execute special projects to take advantage of opportunities as they emerge.
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Finance required.
- Master’s Degree in Accounting or Finance preferred.
- MBA, CPA, CFA, or similar license required
Knowledge Requirements (licenses, programs, or certifications):
- Understanding of U.S. GAAP as it applies to a manufacturing environment
- Business Acumen
- Communication Proficiency both written and oral
- Problem Solving/Analysis
- Project Management
- Strategic Thinking
- Excellent Computer Skills: MS Office Suite, QuickBooks, Microsoft Dynamics NAV, Project management software?
- Proven track record of providing a strategic direction for a growing finance and accounting department
- Experience with Concur (or similar software) expense and invoice systems preferred.
- 5 years plus managing complex cash management and AIP
- 5 plus years supervising accounting staff
- 5 plus years of hands-on managerial and cost accounting experience
- Experience with a smaller organization wearing many hats
- Agriculture or Manufacturing experience strongly preferred