*** This position is located in Charlottesville, VA ***
The Darden School Foundation at the University of Virginia seeks a highly motivated professional to join its Advancement team. The Director of Annual Giving is responsible for developing and implementing the strategic fundraising plan for the Darden Annual Fund and other annual giving priorities, in conjunction with a $400 million comprehensive campaign. The Director is responsible for effectively motivating and managing class volunteers, providing leadership to the annual giving team and managing a portfolio of leadership annual giving prospects. This position is an important member of the overall advancement team, collaborating closely with the major gifts, donor relations, operations, and engagement teams to expand Darden’s network of alumni support. The Director works closely with advancement team members and others for the overall success of the Darden School fundraising efforts. This position will require travel (50%) to be determined through prospect identification and donor events. Occasional evening or weekend work required.
Specific duties and responsibilities:
- Develops, implements and manages the goals and strategies for Darden’s Annual Fund program.
- Provides leadership and direction to annual giving team.
- Oversees the recruitment, training, and management of class volunteers.
- Develops, executes, and manages class fundraising and engagement strategies that aim to achieve dollar and participation goals and increase the number of leadership gifts in each class.
- Develops solicitation and communication plans for the Darden Annual Fund and other annual giving projects and priorities.
- Manages Darden Society and Hickory Club strategy, communications, activities and events.
- Identifies, engages, solicits, and stewards annual giving donors and prospects, with agreed upon targeted yearly visit goals. Travels regularly to visit prospective leadership annual giving donors.
- Oversees the execution of Second Year class gift campaign for the residential program graduates as well as the MBA for Executives programs.
- Responsible for tracking results of solicitations, compiling data and assisting with analysis.
- Participates in regular prospect strategy and portfolio review sessions with frontline team.
- Prepares and manages Annual Fund budget.
- Works on special initiatives in support of annual giving priorities.
Professional experience and education:
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s Degree in Business Administration preferred.
- Minimum of 7 years in development, marketing, client services, or sales.
- Experience working for a non-profit, foundation, or academic institution preferred.
- A complete understanding of philanthropic, sales or business development is required to perform effectively. Knowledge and understanding of various levels of philanthropy is preferred.
- In-depth knowledge of school, business issues, and current developments affecting business, industry, and the economy helpful.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
- Ability to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner; gather and analyze information skillfully; develop alternative solutions and use reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Ability to relate to people of diverse backgrounds, training, and experience.
- Skill in exercising a high degree of initiative, judgment, discretion, and decision-making to achieve organizational objectives.
- Ability to promote a positive image of the School and represent the School’s interests before the public, media, and other schools.
- Excellent research and writing skills with demonstrated ability to communicate information to the public.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment independently when responding to inquiries and interacting with donors, alumni, parents, faculty, volunteers, vendors and staff.
- Strong personal and professional integrity.
- Must possess strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously and remain cognizant of deadlines and schedules.
- Ability to synthesize complex or diverse information; collect and research data; use intuition and experience to complement data.
- Proficiency in word processing, spreadsheet, database, and presentation software required.
- Proficiency with Advance, Raiser’s Edge, or other fundraising database preferred.
- Completion of CASE training desirable.
- Proficiency utilizing the Internet as a resource.
Please attach a cover letter and resume when applying for this position.
The Darden School Foundation is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, sex (including sexual orientation and gender identity or expression), national or ethnic origin, race, religion, pregnancy, veteran status, or genetic information. We participate in E-verify.
About Darden, the Darden School Foundation and Charlottesville, VA:
UVA’s Darden Graduate School of Business delivers Degree Programs and Executive Education in its Charlottesville and Washington D.C. locations, as well as at client sites around the world. The Darden School Foundation is an independent, nonprofit, tax-exempt corporation established in 1952 with the mission of supporting and advancing the Darden School in its academic mission. The Darden School Foundation provides this support through promoting philanthropic support, managing endowment funds and other assets for the School’s exclusive benefit, running Darden’s top ranked Executive Education and Lifelong Learning programs, and operating the Inn at Darden, Darden Sands Family Grounds in Rosslyn, and Abbott Center in Charlottesville. An elected Board of Trustees oversees the Foundation’s strategy and provides a critical link between the Foundation, School and business communities.
The Darden School has been ranked the number one MBA education experience in the world by The Economist magazine for eight consecutive years, number one for campus environment and faculty by Princeton Review, and number one for alumni satisfaction with their MBA education by Forbes.
Nestled amid the foothills of the magnificent Blue Ridge Mountains and about a hundred miles South of Washington, D.C., the greater Charlottesville region offers a thriving community and vanguard of arts and culture that’s both boldly innovative and grounded in rich tradition. Charlottesville consistently ranks as one of the top places in the country for quality of life and was recently named America’s happiest city. A wonderful place to raise a family, Charlottesville and Albemarle County have schools that are consistently ranked top in Virginia.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System and the University Physician’s Group are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.
Darden School of BusinessThe Darden School of Business is one of the world's leading business schools, offering MBA, Ph.D. and Executive Education programs. The unique Darden experience combines the case study method, the highest-ranked faculty whose research advances global managerial practice and a tight-knit learning environment where students, faculty and staff work together in a collaborative environment. Charlottesville, Virginia is a charming college town with extraordinary cultural resources, and is regarded as one of the top places to live in the United States. The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System and the University Physician’s Group are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.