Working closely with the Engineering and Manufacturing Teams, the Mechanical Design Engineer will design and integrate new ideas into a line of digital slide scanners. Digital scanner is a complex high precision and automated electro-mechanical instrument for high resolution scan of pathological samples.
You will be an integral part of the VAVE (Value Added Value Engineering) initiative for cost and design optimization of the existing and new products. In addition to the sustainment of our current products, you will be a member of the design team for new products and responsible for new design and manufacturability aspects of it plus knowledge transfer to production.
You will be expected to monitor all aspects of your design from inception to design verification/validation, production and finally to the end users. This is an exceptional opportunity for a creative person to invent new solutions in an exciting field as we expand our product capabilities.
- Design of new opto-mechanical & electro-mechanical assemblies
- Leading Engineering Change Orders (change to the existing designs or introducing new designs plus V&V and release)
- Design for Manufacturability\Serviceability for new developments and existing products
- Design of manufacturing fixtures for assembly/test and alignment of optical & electro-mechanical assemblies
- Design Transfer to production
- Interact with machine shops and vendors throughout the design cycle for optimizing the design from manufacturability and cost stand points
- Design optimizing for cost and quality improvement
- Provide manufacturing and customer support
- BA/BS in Engineering (Mechanical, Electro-Mechanical, Mechatronics or other related majors) or equivalent
- 4+ years experience as Mechanical or Electro-Mechanical Engineer or equivalent
- Intermediate to advanced skills in SolidWorks (or equivalent computer aided design tool)
- Excellent detailed mechanical design skills, tolerance and error budget analysis
- Experience in design of high precision instruments
- Machine shop skills – moderate expertise
- Experience in Design for Manufacturability and Reliability
- Experience in Design and Process Failure Mode Analysis
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Familiarity with stages, servo motors and motion control
- Optical alignment concepts
- Experience in the Medical Device/IVD or other regulated environments with exposure to design control regulations
- Interest in photography, digital cameras
- Familiarity with oscilloscope, logic analyzer and other measurement equipment
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- May be requested to work overtime and weekends for special program events