Sea-Bird Scientific is the world's largest developer and manufacturer of products for the measurement of salinity, temperature, pressure, dissolved oxygen, fluorescence, nutrients and related parameters for oceanographic research and environmental water quality monitoring in natural waters. Scientists around the world rely upon our designs to advance their understanding of natural waters.
We are looking for a talented Electrical Engineer II to become an integral part of the Sea-Bird Scientific R&D Team. The Electrical Engineer II reports directly to the Electrical Engineering Manager. You will work in a collaborative environment to drive innovation of new products as well as support the sustainment and evolution of our established instrumentation. The core purpose of this role is to apply your knowledge of electrical engineering principles, with some supervision or guidance, to the design, redesign, test, modeling and use of various products, subassemblies, complex systems, and product platforms.
The successful applicant will be expected to:
Develop embedded firmware for undersea and coastal sensors, instruments and test platforms.
Own the analysis, development, debug and modification of key product designs.
Create and execute test plans to mitigate risk early in the development process.
Assist in the analog and digital circuit design of ultra-low-power (battery-powered), compact, robust sensing systems for oceanographic instruments.
Execute effective problem solving to resolve quality, performance, and production issues with past, present, and future products.
Manage priorities, timelines, deadlines and deliverables.
Evaluate design tradeoffs and approaches when fulfilling design goals as described in specification documents.
Design for compliance (RoHS, CE, UL).
Communicate effectively within and across departments to support the larger organization.
Be a motivated self-starter that can work independently to meet project targets.
Utilize benchtop test equipment for design verification and trouble shooting.
Perform additional tasks as assigned.
- BS with a 3 or more years of directly relevant experience; MS with 1 year of relevant experience in a systems design environment in which the candidate has had a role in taking designs from conception through production and shipment
- Embedded systems development, including architecture design and test strategy and DFM.
- Experienced in embedded C development, inclusive of low-level driver development, communication protocols (SPI, I2C, USB, UART) low-power techniques.
- Experience with schematic capture and circuit analysis using EDA tools such as OrCAD and SPICE.
- Demonstrated knowledge and skill in the following areas:
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Strong project and time management skills
- Solid data analysis and reporting skills
- Experience with MSP430 and ARM-Cortex architectures.
- Knowledge of common scripting languages such as Bash, Python.
- Experience with PADs for PCB Layout is a plus.