Summer Internship in Scientific Affairs
- Posted: over a month ago
The Dairy community’s commitment to health and wellness has a broad vision to provide consumers with the nutritious dairy products they want in a way that is relevant to their lifestyle, culturally appropriate, economically viable, environmentally sound, and socially responsible.
National Dairy Council (NDC) is offering a paid, three-month Scientific Affairs Internship, to support emerging leaders in health, wellness and sustainable nutrition. The intern will help NDC integrate existing knowledge of health, nutrition, sustainability and the dairy industry and help identify future areas for research, education and engagement. The intern will gain a deep understanding of the role dairy foods play in a health, wellness and sustainable nutrition.
The intern will work under the umbrella of the Scientific and Nutrition Affairs team. This impressive, multidisciplinary team is made up of Registered Dietitian Nutritionists and scientists who are dairy subject matter experts and thought leaders in their respective fields. This is a paid, full-time position based in the Chicagoland area over the summer with the potential to work remotely. DMI offers a flexible/hybrid work arrangement and has a strong preference for candidates who are local to the Chicagoland office who can spend at least 10 to 12 days during the internship in the office.
Internship focus areas include:
- Health and wellness
- Science translation
- Nutrition education
- Sustainable nutrition
- Nutrition communications
- Dietary guidance
- Authoritative professional organizations
- Additional nutrition-focused competencies required by applicant’s academic program will be met on a project- by-project basis
The intern will be exposed to a variety of career development opportunities, including agriculture/farming/food production, leadership, personal branding, social media and other career enhancing workshops and trainings and opportunities for interacting with the farmers through on-the-farm experience(s).
Projects may include working with a cross-functional team (i.e., Registered Dietitian Nutritionists, Medical Doctors, Scientists spanning food systems research) to build trust in dairy's contributions to health, wellness and sustainable nutrition by:
- Supporting the creation of evidence-based communication and educational materials for health and wellness professionals and other stakeholders, aligned with business priorities
- Develop presentations related to health, wellness and/or sustainable nutrition
- Provide support for NDC presence at key food and nutrition conferences
- Communicate with all levels of DMI staff, as well as the dairy and scientific communities
- Specific projects will be assigned based on the priorities above and the candidate’s professional and developmental interests.
- Bachelor of Science in Food and Nutrition-related major
- Enrolled in or completed a dietetic internship program or doctoral program by June 1, 2023
- Master’s degree in Dietetics, Nutrition, Public Health, Agriculture (completed or in process) or another relevant field or 2 – 3 years of relevant work experience
- Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN) or RDN eligible
- PhD or PhD Candidate (having completed comprehensive examinations)
- Experience in public health, food security, food systems, global health
- Experience in social media, educational resource development, professional presentation development
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Knowledge of nutrition and food systems-related issues, especially as they impact vulnerable and underserved communities, public health and the agriculture sector
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong communications/writing skills
- Self-motivated with the ability to work, exercise sound judgment, and make decisions independently
- Competency in leadership, facilitation, negotiation and teamwork
Immigration sponsorship is not available for this role. As a general matter, NDC does not sponsor candidates for nonimmigrant visas or permanent residency.
All applicants will be asked to create one document (multiple pages) that includes the following: cover letter, resume, essay one*, essay two**, and optional information***.
*Essay One: Why is the NDC Summer Internship your program of choice? (250 words)
**Essay Two: Why are you a good candidate for the NDC Summer Internship? Please include information about your commitment to advancing your career in health, wellness and/or sustainable nutrition? (500 words)
***Optional: If there is any important information relevant to your candidacy you were unable to address elsewhere in the application process, please share that information here. (250 words maximum)
Letter of Recommendation: Please secure one letter of recommendation. The recommender should submit the letter directly to email@example.com. The subject line should state: Scientific Affairs 2023 Summer Internship Recommendation Letter.
Application deadline and next steps:
Applications will be accepted through March 1, 2023 and eligible candidates will be invited for a phone and zoom interview. We regret it is not possible to communicate with candidates except those who most closely match our requirements.
Dairy Management Inc.™ (DMI) is funded by America’s 29,000-plus dairy farmers, as well as dairy importers. Created to help increase sales, trust and demand for dairy products, DMI and its related organizations work to increase demand for dairy through research, education and innovation, and to maintain confidence in dairy foods, farms and businesses. DMI manages National Dairy Council and the American Dairy Association and founded the U.S. Dairy Export Council and the Innovation Center for U.S. Dairy. DMI works with state and regional promotion organizations to implement these programs across the country.
National Dairy Council is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, gender, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Summer interns are not benefits-eligible.
NDC does not reimburse for travel to/from the internship or provide summer housing or a stipend.
Dairy Management Inc.
HealthcareView all jobs at Dairy Management Inc.
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?