Embedded in a worldwide network Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America, Inc. continuously strives to remain at the forefront of successful automotive research and development. MBRDNA is headquartered in Silicon Valley, California, with key areas of Autonomous Driving, Advanced Interaction Design, Digital User Experience, Machine Learning, Customer Research, and Open Innovation. In Redford, Michigan, the focus is on Powertrain and eDrive technology as well as in Long Beach, where the teams test durability of the latest driver assistance and telematics systems. The Digital Hub in Seattle focuses on developing a cloud architecture and building out the cloud platform for the next generation of connected car services. The Testing and Regulatory Affairs team in Ann Arbor and the Advanced Vehicle Design in Carlsbad complete the competence center.
Mercedes-Benz Research and Development North America (MBRDNA) is looking for a talented engineer or scientist with battery technology development experience to join a battery research and technology team in Long Beach, CA.
The Senior Battery Engineer's primary responsibility is to support fundamental research and pre-development programs with internal and external partners. These programs are essential to ensure Mercedes-Benz is the premier luxury electric vehicle manufacturer. Primary duties include evaluating and optimizing lithium-ion battery cell designs, establishing and optimizing procedures, leading technical projects, and collaborating with program management and external partners on technical and project details. Additionally, this position will create test plans, facilitate cross functional design reviews, utilize technical expertise to support overall team objectives and projects.
The preferred candidate has solid experience with electrochemistry, research and development, verification and validation of electrochemical devices, and strong stakeholder management and networking skills. Proactive to challenge the status quo and think outside of the box. Energetic, customer and goal oriented who can collaborate across borders and cultures.
- Evaluate, optimize, and test battery technology for technical merit and production feasibility
- Design and validate new processes and devices
- Assist in transferring technology between development stages (e.g. from prototype to pilot scale)
- Plan tests and evaluate mechanical and electrochemical challenges through analyses to make data-driven decisions
- Performing other functions as required supporting R&D
- Serve as project manager by developing and maintaining project plans and deliverables
- Work with diverse project teams to design and produce quality product
- Engage in frequent multi-functional team discussions to evaluate design and processes from inception to mass production
- Create and distribute regular project status reports
- Conducts regular risk management analysis, develops lessons learned
Skills & Requirements:
- Masters degree in chemistry, materials, chemical engineering, mechanical engineering or related field
- 5 years of relevant experience
- Exceptional working knowledge of lithium ion battery operation and performance including charging, discharging, safety, impedance, aging, cycle life, temperature effects, sustainability, failure modes, handling and pack assembly methods and associated equipment
- Strong Fundamental knowledge of lithium and post lithium-ion electrochemistry; Capable of making test choices based on electrochemistry nuances
- Experience building and/or validating cell (half, coin, single, multilayer pouch) samples
- Experience scaling electrochemical devices
- Strong background in analytics and benchmarking
- Experience leading multi-partner projects (Li-Ion field preferred)
- Strong work ethic, a sense of accountability, and the ability to take ownership of projects
- Demonstrable problem solving with outside-the-box approaches
- Takes initiative and is able to work with little or no supervision
- Proven project management experience able to establish clear, measureable goals, and deliver on commitments
- Team oriented and able to work in a fast paced, collaborative environment
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to interact with technicians, laboratory managers, and scientists
- Drives for results - The passion to set and meet high standards of performance
- A passion to learn and adapt to a dynamic environment
- Able to quickly and consistently establish rapport and collaborate effectively with clients, team members, and employees at all levels