**Department Chair, Education**
**Open Rank, Tenure Track Position**
Daemen College seeks a highly experienced and innovative professional with demonstrated administrative ability to assume a leadership role in the Department of Education. The successful candidate will have a record of leadership in higher education, scholarship, as well as significant teaching experience in one or more of the following areas: Special Education; Secondary Education; or Literacy. This is an open-rank, tenure track position beginning June 1, 2019.
The position of Chair is an exciting opportunity for an effective and innovative educator with superior management skills, expertise in curriculum/program planning and development, and the ability to support, encourage, and unite colleagues. The successful candidate will possess strong communication, organization, administrative, and fiduciary skills, and a willingness to contribute to and support teaching and learning environments that promote cultural sensitivity and diversity. Knowledge of the Association for Advancing Quality in Accreditation (AAQEP) accreditation process and standards, and New York State requirements for teacher preparation and certification is highly also preferable.
The Chairperson will oversee the Department of Education and the Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) Program, including all undergraduate, graduate, and certificate programs offered through the Amherst and Brooklyn campuses. The successful candidate will also exhibit a strong desire to promote within faculty and teacher candidates, a commitment to an established paradigm for lifelong-learning. The Chairperson will also supervise the College's Thomas Reynolds Center for Special Education and After-School Programs. The Center provides graduate students a unique opportunity to gain hands-on teaching experiences, while completing a Master's degree in Education.
* Earned Doctorate from a regionally accredited institution in Special Education, Secondary Education, or Literacy is highly preferable;
* An active record of teaching at P-12 and/or higher education levels, and a demonstrated commitment to teacher preparation programs is also strongly recommended;
* At least three years of demonstrated teaching effectiveness in the higher education arena;
* Demonstrated administration skills, and strong oral, written, and interpersonal skills;
* Specific experience with preparing college faculty workloads;
* Time management and organizational skills;
* Experience recruiting and retaining a qualified and diverse faculty and staff;
* Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a member of a team;
* Demonstrated proficiency working with computer applications and software expected of a teaching professional, faculty member, and administrator;
* Honesty, integrity, and commitment to maintaining the highest of professional standards;
* Demonstrated organizational, planning, and problem-solving skills;
* Knowledge of program assessment and methods to evaluate students, program outcomes and faculty members;
* Ability to manage sensitive and confidential information;
* Ability to interface with students, faculty, staff and community members with tact and clarity;
* An established record of leadership in educational settings, service to professional organizations, and previous administrative experience;
* Knowledge of program planning, development, and fiscal management.
**Primary duties include:**
* Alignment of existing departmental learning goals with AAQEP standards and outcome expectations;
* Prepare workloads and budgets; monitor budget activity;
* Coordinate all teacher preparation program operations and resources;
* Develop program budget, and policies/procedures;
* Provide oversight to the student teaching coordinator and data manager;
* Liaise with College's Instructional Technology (IT) support team to ensure an adequate and supportive teaching and learning environment for students and faculty;
* Host student orientation and advisement sessions as well as ensure faculty involvement at admissions events;
* Roles/responsibilities associated with departmental meetings, College committees, and professional development activities;
* Stay current on contemporary issues and trends in education;
* Complete faculty member annual evaluations;
* Complete other tasks as assigned.
Daemen College is a small private, co-educational institution offering Baccalaureate, Masters and entry-level Doctoral degrees in a wide variety of professional and liberal arts programs. Located on a scenic suburban campus in Western New York, Daemen College is a dynamic institution with 2,800 full and part-time students. The College recently celebrated its 70th anniversary and is recognized as an institution of national distinction with decades of experience offering robust, high quality academic programs.
This is a twelve-month full-time appointment reporting to the Dean of Health and Human Services. Faculty rank of Assistant or Associate Professor will be based on previous teaching, administrative experience, and record of scholarship.
Salary and academic rank will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Excellent benefits package included.
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until a successful candidate is identified.
For consideration please submit CV, letter of interest, and contact information for three professional references in a single attachment tohttp://daemen.applicantpro.com. **Incomplete packages will not be considered.**The successful candidate must be able to begin the position on **June 1, 2019.**
Daemen College is an AA/EOE and strongly encourages applications from women, veterans, people of color, individuals with disabilities and candidates who will contribute to and support the cultural fluency and diversity of our campus.
*Job Start/End Date:* 18-Apr-2019 to 10-May-2019 (EST)
*Location:* Amherst, NY, USA
*Employment Type:* Contract