We are seeking an Performance Packaging Technical Manager. The position can be located anywhere on the East Coast and reports to the Operational Improvement Director.
Provide support to the NAPP organization in Performance Packaging projects (PACE) and related activities. Carry out and be responsible for the development of the following key areas: development and implementation of a paper supplier approval process; supplier product conformance standards (Central Paper Lab); and converting performance control processes through collection & analysis of board & pack test data.
Areas of Responsibility:
PACE Performance Packaging
· In coordination with the Operational Teams of each site & Divisional Operational Excellence Manager, provide technical leadership. Champion a system to gather the necessary data from paper, board & box testing for analysis. Educate and support the organization using this analysis to affect board strength, control paper strength, while optimizing raw material (paper) cost.
Paper Control & Approval Plan Board and Box Strength Control Plan
· Assist with data evaluation and statistical analysis for the Paper, Corrugated, Conversion, and future performance testing programs.
· Participate in all department Performance Packaging PACE project initiatives. Responsible for the Paper, Board and Box testing program roll outs. This includes training, implementation, follow up site-based support and on-going monitoring activities.
· Research, validate, develop and implement new testing practices and procedures for product performance assessment and process control related functions.
· Where required, provide the IT based support to include development of data capture spreadsheets/databases, analysis tools/programs and automated reporting functions.
· Manage the following technical activities for the OneA Design software: Development and maintenance of user guides; and training activities for the design and sales communities in coordination with the NAPP Design Lead.
· Administrate, monitor and fine-tune/update of master data (machines, flute profiles, board grades, FIT data) in the Performance Packaging Database (PPDB).
Board Grade Optimization
· Train the organization in using the test data to run Board Grade Optimization processes using the divisional tool (TOM) to align customer performance requirements and our plants performance.
Education, Certifications and Experience:
· Master’s degree (preferable engineering, technology, process) or equivalent via experience.
· H&S (IOSH Managing Safely)
· Minimum 5 years in a position in a corrugated manufacturing environment (Corrugator or Engineering)
· Ability to work in/with/between various cultures
· Proven experience in project management, project management skills
· Good communication skills, able to work in a systematic and rigorous way
· Works collaboratively with others. Inspires to a common purpose.
· Strong leadership and coaching skills with the proven ability to set a vision, manage change, strategically plan for continuous improvement and the ability to influence people at all levels within the organization
· Fluent in English
· Corrugated Manufacturing Process
· Heat transfer, steam, starch, or paper strong expertise
· Advocate for lean principles, proven lean transformation experience, experience in lean change management
· Passion for continuous improvement and strong will to deliver results
· Analytical and conceptual skills
Competencies Skills & Abilities:
· Good level of Corrugated processes knowledge and expertise
· High level of database and analytics expertise
· High level of paper, board and pack strength and structural behavior sciences
· High level or interpersonal and influential skills
· Flexibility to travel 60-80%