DRS Daylight Solutionsis a subsidiary of Leonardo DRS. Our mission at DRS Daylight Solutions is to be the leading provider of best-in-class, mid-infrared sources and systems for defense, commercial, and research markets. Our global leadership position in advanced, mid-IR technology means that DRS Daylight Solutions customers benefit from a sustainable, competitive advantage in molecular detection and imaging applications.
Leonardo DRSis a leading supplier of integrated products, services and support to military forces, intelligence agencies and prime contractors worldwide. Focused on defense technology, we develop, manufacture and support a broad range of systems for mission critical and military sustainment requirements, as well as homeland security. Headquartered in Arlington, VA, the Company is a wholly owned subsidiary of Leonardo S.p.A. which employs more than 70,000 people worldwide. We offer a competitive compensation package and a business culture, which rewards performance. For additional information on DRS, please visit our website atwww.drs.com.
In 2005, three high-tech entrepreneurs founded DRS Daylight Solutions in San Diego, California, with the goal of developing breakthrough technologies and products around the company's core technology: mid-IR quantum cascade lasers (QCLs). Since then, the company has introduced three groundbreaking products.
Are you an innovator that wants to be part of the solution? We're looking for pioneers who bring great ideas from concept to reality. DRS Daylight Solutions culture is family oriented, innovative, and collaborative. We enjoy working hard and have fun doing it. Our motto is to protect with light.
Job Location: San Diego, CA
The laser engineer at DRS Daylight Solutions will be part of an R&D team developing novel laser components and transitioning them into products. Incumbent will perform analysis, modeling, design, prototyping and testing of laser components and systems.Additionally, the laser engineer will be solving complex problems requiring deep understanding of material science and laser technology. The laser engineer will manage and maintain the engineering lab.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Build and test laser cavities and laser based systems.
- Design, build and align optical bench setups.
- Hands-on skills in optical instrumentation and metrology.
- Manage, optimize and maintain the engineering lab.
- Supports and participates in technical activity.
- Designs, develops, analyzes, documents and supports testing of products, systems or subsystems.
- May use and assist with basic engineering analysis using commercially available FEA software or MATLAB (e.g., tolerance stack, optical, structural, heat transfer, vibrations, fluids).
- Assist in rapid prototyping/modifying hardware. (Exposure to hand tools, band saw, vertical mill, and/or lathe).
- Ability to use Solidworks to create designs.
- Learn and maintain Daylight drafting standards when creating drawings and assembly procedures
- Ensure accuracy and completeness of all drawings, engineering records, analyses, and tasks of assigned projects.
- Ability to work independently under supervision of others.
- Provides regular reporting of progress and status.
- Responsible for completion of assigned task on time and meeting technical requirements.
- Supports the program design to cost and design for manufacture requirements.
- Develops prototypes to retire key development risks as directed.
- Communicates clearly (written and oral) with other company personnel and the customer as required.
- Supports, communicates, reinforces and defends the mission, values and culture of the organization.
Optical:__ Involved with the overall development of optical systems. Involved in lens and optical system design using Zemax Optic Studio. Optical bench alignment and test. Coordinates with opto-mechanical design teams in selecting and qualifying optical components. Develops optical and laser test procedures.
Test: Involved with the design and development of test programs to measure the functionality and integrity of products and services. Writes test procedures and protocols to assess product reliability and evaluates the ability of products to meet performance standards and specifications. Debugs test hardware and software. Perform qualification testing, design verification testing and reliability testing.
- Mechanical**: *Involved with the design, fabrication and modification of mechanical and/or electro mechanical components, sub-systems and systems. May include Mechanical Analysis, Aerodynamics/Fluids, Thermal, Fluid Systems, Mechanical Packaging, or others.
- Bachelor's degree in Physics, Laser Engineering, or Optical Engineering Desired
- U.S. Citizenship required.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoD Security Clearance.
- Lifting: yes 20 lbs 0-25%
- Walking: yes 0-25%
- Climbing: yes 0-10%
- Bending: yes 0-10%
- Sitting: yes 0-50%
- Standing: yes 0-10%
- Stooping: yes 0-10%
- Kneeling: yes 0-10%
- Travel: yes 0-10%
Leonardo DRS, Inc. its subsidiaries and affiliates are equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We consider applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital, veteran status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law. #DLS