We are seeking a data analyst to join our team who is enthusiastic about all things data-oriented, from how it is collected to how it is used to improve business operations. This role will support the overall implementation of statistical models and machine learning built to improve some aspect of our business or the trucking industry. As such, the candidate’s primary focus will involve organizing data from various sources and conducting directed analysis of this data. Over time, this analyst will develop the skills needed to apply more complicated statistical and machine learning models and will have the potential to grow into a data scientist role.
Toward these aims, the candidate should exhibit strong technical skills, a passion about data quality, and an appetite to learn about the commercial insurance process. This person will apply technical and computational skills to execute tasks required for the development and implementation of data science models. This person will bolster and add to DMC’s unique culture – a workplace built on enthusiasm, entrepreneurship, integrity, communication, proactive problem solving, and a genuine passion for helping our customers and agents.
- Develop and implement methods to gather, ingest, process and archive data (both structured and unstructured) from disparate sources.
- Perform data analysis for our internal and external clients.
- Clearly communicate findings from data analysis.
- Assist management with special projects, reporting, market research, or broker/customer research and engagement initiatives.
- Implement and assess predictive models to support DMC functional areas including Claims, Underwriting, Risk Engineering, and Operations.
- Other related duties, as assigned by management.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, preferably in actuarial science, mathematics, statistics, risk management, or related field.
- Proficiency with one or more applicable computer languages (e.g. Python, R) as well as SQL and Excel for data processing and analysis.
- Internship, coursework or other exposure to data infrastructures, big data applications, data visualizations, and cloud data/computing environments.
- Exposure to machine learning techniques and algorithms is preferred.
- Will abide by departmental policies and procedures, including regulatory compliance (rate, rules and form), as well as internal audit controls.
- Customer service orientation, strong listening skills, and ability to communicate findings.
- Travel, as needed (0-20% of time) to visit key brokers/customers/prospects, support executive initiatives, and participate in industry events/trade shows.
- Must be a self-starter with ability to manage time in a fast-paced environment, prioritize critical tasks, communicate with management on status, and deliver on objectives in a timely fashion.
- Must be able to work proactively in independent settings, as well as work collaboratively with a team.