- Posted: over a month ago
ABOUT THE ROLE:
As DIG evolves forward, the growth, development & continued learning of our people remains top mind as a crucial priority. As District Manager, you will directly oversee a group of 2-4 restaurants and be responsible for the people & training, business/financial results, system's efficiency, health & safety and culinary production within the 4 walls of each of your locations. The District Manager has the management skills & drive to push their group of restaurants to perform at their best under each pillar of the business; culinary, people, systems & financial results. The District Manager has a strong sense for operational excellence at DIG and a proven ability to drive financial results & strong consistent KPI performance over time. You are adept at noticing trends through reports & observation, and can actively translate into actionable results to take with your restaurant leaders to help them run the best business possible. The District Manager is a dynamic leader who loves to train, mentor, and develop your Chef Operators/Chef De Cuisines & restaurant teams into future leaders by teaching them new skills everyday, holding them accountable to expectations, and actively coaching through critical problem solving. You are an expert in the art of succession planning and cross training and will play an active role in training both seasoned and novice cooks in your restaurants to help nurture the next generation of chefs at DIG. You have the culinary chops and passion to teach your restaurants the importance of food quality, consistent execution and attention to detail when operating a seamless scratch kitchen. You will communicate actively with your teams to ensure they are supported at all times & validate each of your restaurants are holding to the standards & expectations DIG has set.
ABOUT THE TEAM:
As District Manager, you will directly manage 2-4 restaurants run under a traditional brigade system. You will partner, coach and mentor your Restaurant Leaders to lead their team of hourly Sous Chefs and Chefs-In-Training. You have a true sense of ownership over your group of restaurants. You will collaborate with other District Managers & DIG support team members to drive great success in your restaurants and run best in class operations & kitchens. You will report directly into the Field Leadership Team under the Operations vertical of DIG. We are determined to rebuild the food system, and we couldn't do it without you.
Be Responsible for managing the financial health and performance of your group of restaurants [Starting with 2 and ramping to 4]:
- Set clear financial performance & KPI goals for your restaurant leaders, holding them accountable in meeting their targets and creating ownership over their individual restaurant.
- Hold your Restaurant Teams accountable to managing food and labor cost to standard and targets.
- Actively diagnose and troubleshoot issues within the restaurant and on the KPI dashboard. You are skilled in coaching other leaders on remedying in real time to create actionable plans for improvement.
- Leverage scheduling tools and best practices to ensure your restaurant leaders are running efficient shifts.
- Ensure that your restaurants meet GX CPTT goals.
- Ensure SmartSense, Succession Planning, & Wellness Checks are completed daily/weekly without exception.
- Be responsible for the entire restaurant operation, including PnL responsibilities such as food cost management, labor efficiency, guest experience and building top-line sales.
Oversee the training and development of all employees in your restaurants:
- Actively manage performance and provide feedback to your Restaurant Leaders ensuring they are clear on action plans & areas of opportunity and excellence within their development plans.
- Coordinate and join weekly restaurant 1:1 meetings.
- Validate that restaurants are facilitating DIRECT feedback conversations and succession planning.
- Ensure that all employee relations conversations are properly documented and communicated to HR, including performance and coaching to track holistic performance of all employees in your restaurants.
- Proactively coach your restaurant leaders in order to identify high-potential employees and promotion opportunities, and create a plan for growth and development.
- Encourage a learning environment by ensuring restaurant leaders are always training and teaching cooks & executing pre-shift to continue to build culture.
- Create, maintain, & empower a diverse, equitable and inclusive work environment. You will hold your teams accountable to strictly upholding Dig's anti-discrimination and anti-harrassment policies.
- Partner with your restaurant leaders in managing ecruitment needs for your group of restaurants by proactively interviewing, hiring and onboarding new culinarians.
Work to systematize process in your restaurants to ensure operations are running smoothly & producing great food:
- Manage new initiatives and scheduled launches within your group of restaurants while instilling an entrepreneurial spirit in your team to keep them excited and engaged.
- Monitor the operational flow of your restaurants, ensuring culinary, COVID and DOH standards and protocols are being followed and executed.
- Consistently taste and provide feedback on food quality to validate that recipes are being followed correctly.
- Leverage business tools such as routines, checklists, delegation charts, restaurant visit forms etc to teach your leaders how to run the best operation possible.
- Observe restaurant performance & flow in order to help your leaders pinpoint areas of improvement and efficiency.
- Audit quality assurance, DIG standards, cleanliness and guest experience within your restaurants and reinforce expectations.
- Rotate between restaurants on a regular basis each week in order to keep an accurate pulse on overall restaurant health.
Work collaboratively with other departments in the organization in order to achieve business goals:
- Complete reporting and documentation functions in order to provide consistent information and feedback to our field leadership team on restaurant performance.
- Communicate verbally and digitally on a daily basis across various systemwide and organizational platforms such as GoogleDrive, Deputy, Slack, Wrike, Revel, Paycom, etc in a timely manner.
- 5+ years of experience in restaurants, including working with high volume. Excellent kitchen skills attained from a culinary degree or equivalent field experience preferred.
- A passion for real, good food and the leadership skills to operate a scratched base, ever changing kitchen.
- The willingness to roll up your sleeves and pitch in whenever and wherever necessary.
- The demonstrated skills to motivate and develop a high performing team.
- An organized approach to achieving team goals.
- The discipline and desire to create systems and organization within fast changing environments.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Deep understanding of restaurant metrics and proven successful running successful operations.
- Strong computer skills. Ability to learn technological platforms and work systematically with them.
- An eye for detail.
- The ability to perform physical requirements of the position (lift up to 50lbs) with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Proven tactics to successful operations in an evolving environment.
Salary Range: $90,000-95,000/year + quarterly bonus potential
Our salary ranges are rooted in the desire to pay competitively relative to our organization size and industry, reflecting just one part of the total compensation package; additional components include quarterly bonus potential, healthcare benefits, various work perks (commuter benefits, free lunch) as well as opportunities for continued growth at DIG.
Individual compensation decisions are determined by factors that include skills-based qualifications, prior work experience, and balancing internal equity relative to other DIG employees. We expect the majority of candidates who are offered roles at DIG to fall healthily within the ranges based on these factors
WORK PERKS: Aside from your the standard job description fare (competitive salary, medical, dental, vision) we also offer:
- Phone reimbursement
- Bonus Potential
- Commuter benefits
- Complimentary DIG meals everyday
At Dig Food Group, we're building a better food system for everyone by sourcing, cooking and serving delicious food everyday. Nine years in, we've grown to more than 30 fast-casual Dig restaurants, opened our first full-service restaurant, 232 Bleecker, partnered with 130 farms including our own Dig Acres, and taught thousands of people how to cook (really cook) in our kitchens.
To do this, we've built direct and real relationships with farmers. We don't just name check them on our menus -- we're true partners in their businesses. We focus on farmers who are independent, first-timers, women, immigrants, LGBTQ and people of color. These relationships allow us to get the best ingredients all year round and change our menu based on what is growing in the fields.
Each restaurant is run by a chef and all our food is cooked on site. There are no microwaves, can openers or freezers, just an entire culinary team at every location, cooking vegetables all day. This requires training a whole generation of chefs and cooks from the ground up, including many who have never worked in a restaurant before. Knife skills are life skills.
We're not here to disrupt anything or become a platform. We run our business on good food and great people. From sourcing to serving, our mission is to create a better food system for everyone. That means a world where farmers can make a living growing food, anyone can learn to cook, and we can all eat well, together.
DIG believes in the power of a shared table to bring people together as we are committed to building a culturally inclusive team. Diverse candidates encouraged to apply
Additional Role Note:
The duties of this position may change from time to time. Dig reserves the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of Dig or its managers. This job description is intended to describe the general level of work being performed. It is not intended to be all-inclusive.
Dig is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, age, ancestry, creed, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related condition, unemployment status, gender identity or expression, transgender status or gender dysphoria, marital status, domestic violence, sexual violence or stalking victim status, national origin, citizenship, disability, covered veteran and/or military status, genetic information or predisposing genetic characteristic, familial status as that term is described under the New York State Human Rights Law, caregiver or partnership status as those terms are defined under the New York City Human Rights Law (if you are employed in New York City) or other protected status or any other characteristic as protected under applicable federal, state and local law ("Protected Status").
DIG Restaurant Teams
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?