- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
This is responsible maintenance work in the care and upkeep of buildings and grounds. This position is responsible for required, planned, and corrective maintenance on all building surfaces, fixtures, systems, and equipment for the group of assigned buildings. Also operates heating ventilating, and air conditioning equipment in assigned buildings according to established procedures and/or specific instructions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The statements contained here reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility, but should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise balance the workload. The functions listed are also examples of duties that may be required and in no way imply a contractual agreement between the employer and employee or affect the at-will relationship between the parties.
1. Performs predefined planned maintenance work on building surfaces, fixtures, systems, and equipment on a scheduled basis. Inspect vacated apartments, complete make ready checklist, perform duties to restore apartments to make ready status.
2. Performs planned maintenance work on equipment which includes, but is not limited to, checking equipment operation, lubricating bearings, changing air filters, cleaning coils of heat exchangers and condensers, changing drive belts and realigning them. Realigning motors and pumps, taking current amperage readings, cleaning and adjusting gas burners, such as those in stoves, and cleaning and adjusting temperature and equipment controls.
3. Inspects window and door hardware and repair as required, tests light switches and electrical outlets, inspects plumbing for leaks and make corrections as soon as possible, checks drain lines to ensure they are free of obstructions, performs such plumbing tasks as replacement of faucet washers, seats, stems and spigots, valves, pipes, traps, strainers, commodes and their hardware as well as commode seats, lavatories and tubs, and unclogging drain and sewage lines, as well as replacing hot water heaters as required.
4. Performs such electrical tasks as relamping with bulbs and fluorescent tubes, changing out switches, repairing light fixtures as well as wall receptacles, fuses, hot water heater elements, range heating elements, and single phase fractional horsepower motors.
5. Performs such carpentry work as replacing and/or repairing doors and door hardware; replacing and/or repairing windows and window hardware; replacing and/or repairing door and window screens; repairing and/or replacing kitchen cabinets; repairing hand rails; making minor repairs to roofs; replacing down spouts and gutters; reglazing windows, boarding up vacant apartments; resetting floor tiles; and patching and repairing carpet.
6. Performs such masonry work as patching cracked concrete, replacing broken masonry blocks, regrouting ceramic tile and replacing broken ceramic tile.
7. Performs mechanical tasks such as replacing thermostats; replacing and adjusting gas burners on furnaces, boilers, water heaters and kitchen ranges; replacing thermocouples; servicing mechanical equipment; and troubleshooting mechanical equipment and performing repairs thereon.
8. Operates heating, ventilating and air conditioning equipment according to established procedures and instructions; checks all major system components and keeps an accurate operator’s log, current at all times; utilizes a wide range of powered and non-powered hand tools such as drills, sanders, sewage line cleaners, saws, hammers, pliers, screwdrivers, wrenches, oilers, and voltage amp meters.
9. Thoroughly inspects units for preventive maintenance needs and notes needed repairs and/or makes the repairs (if assigned). Goal is to achieve REAC or other inspection rating of 95%+ in new units and 85%+ in older units, at a minimum.
10. Assists in the management of pests and vermin (including but not limited to Bed Bugs, Roaches, Fleas, and rodents) by proper observation, reporting, and follow-up.
11. Attends work with regularity and punctually and recognizes that attendance is an essential duty and responsibility of this position.
1. As required, particularly with vacancy preparation, assists other trades such as painters and performs tasks such as patching holes in plaster walls, sanding, and repainting as well as painting replacement doors, doing touch-up painting and spot painting metal surfaces for corrosion protection.
2. Develops material and equipment lists for assigned jobs.
3. Provides “on-call” coverage as scheduled and required by the Authority and schedule flexibility to accommodate a 7 day work week.
4. Handles problems and emergencies that may arise.
5. Performs other related work as assigned and according to the safety standards of DHA, OSHA, and health codes.
6. Productivity to exceed 95%.
This position requires the incumbent to exhibit the following behavioral skills:
- Problem Solving: Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with sensitive topics and/or irate customers.
- Customer Service: Meets/exceeds the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; Manages difficult or sensitive customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance.
- Interpersonal Skills: Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting.
- Teamwork: Balances team and individual responsibilities; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests.
- Professionalism: Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions;
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Must be able to get along with people and provide excellent customer service in all situations and address the concerns and maintenance needs of residents in a professional manner.
2. Knowledge and skills in plumbing, electrical, carpentry/framing, masonry, mechanical equipment, painting, appliance repair, HVAC.
3. Knowledge of required safety.
4. Ability to read and interpret blueprints, building plans and technical documents.
5. Ability to work in a timely manner from oral and written instructions, good organizational and follow-up skills, attention to detail.
6. Ability to perform well a wide range of building and equipment maintenance tasks independently.
7. Ability to use both powered and non-powered hand tools.
8. Ability to work in high places, cramped quarters, and difficult to reach places.
9. Ability to lift relatively heavy objects, walk extensive distances, and to climb stairs at a normal pace.
10. Ability to lift up to 100lbs. necessary for installation and removal of appliances.
11. Extensive mobility and excellent physical condition, ability to kneel, crouch, climb, crawl, etc. to reach items in need of repairs.
12. Ability to drive to and from job sites.
13. Tolerance to all extremes of hot and cold weather and efficiently handle a changing environment.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
1. Graduation from an accredited high school, trade school, or possession of a GED Certificate. Training in several maintenance areas or detailed training in plumbing or electrical of at least 18 months, HVAC Certified.
2. At least three years skilled maintenance experience preferably in some form of facilities or multi-family building environment.
3. Any equivalent compensation of education and experience will be considered.
This position is required to work in and out of apartments that are generally not accessible to the mobility and sensory impaired. The incumbent must have the ability to utilize standard maintenance tool equipment and access tight small spaces. The incumbent must have the ability to lift up to 100 pounds. Must be able to work on ladder, kneel for extended period of time, take stairs, and stand for extended periods of time. This position is required to work in less than ideal conditions, including noise, high-traffic areas, rough terrain, and undeveloped areas. The incumbent must have the ability to access all portions of a housing structure including the attic, basement, or crawl space and must be able to work/inspect in wet, damp, hot, cold, or dusty places.
1. Must be bondable.
2. Possession of a valid State of Georgia Driver’s License.
3. Must be insurable by the Authority’s fleet insurance carrier.
DECATUR HOUSING AUTHORITY
750 Commerce DriveDecatur, GA
Get fresh Building Mechanic jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.