The employee is responsible for reviewing all refills on current medications, documentation, and calling in new prescriptions as ordered by MMG standing protocols as an agent of the physicians.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Follow Medication Refill Protocols at all times, prior to submitting medication refills to community pharmacies.
- Review the last date that a prescription was filled, bringing attention to any refills that are being requested prior to running out.
- Review last visit note in Electronic Medical Record prior to sending refill authorizations for patients that have been seen by a MMG provider, per protocol.
- Schedule patients for an appointment with their provider if a refill is being requested and the patient has not been seen for an office visit in the past 12 months. Queue up the necessary quantity to last the patient until the scheduled visit and send to the pharmacist for approval.
- Review the medication list from the patient’s last visit to verify that the patient is still taking the medication. If the medication is not on the list, call the patient to confirm. If there are any further questions, contact the pharmacist.
- Manage all incoming medication questions and refill requests, including those received by e-Fax and phone call, physician review and/or processing in accordance with the Prescription Refill Policy and Procedure.
- Manage inbox and delete unnecessary duplicate requests.
- Manage unmatched refill requests and remove unmatched notification from the physician’s inbox.
- Update patient medication lists in Electronic Health Record for pharmacist review.
- Communicate with pharmacies via telephone, fax, mail, etc., regarding medication changes and/or refills as directed by a physician/pharmacist.
- Assist nursing staff, physicians, and pharmacists with calling and refilling prescriptions.
- Assist in processing prior authorization process, including retrieving Rx ID, pharmacy benefit manager, checking status, notifying patients, and pharmacies of approvals and notifying pharmacists of denials.
- Assist with daily pharmacy-related operations as requested by pharmacists.
- Maintain patient confidentiality.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Must be high school graduate or GED equivalent.
- Certified Pharmacy Technician required
- Pharmacy Technician license from the California Board of Pharmacy is required.
- BLS certification preferred.
- Minimum of one year of pharmacy or office experience with refills.
Cypress Healthcare Partners