We are looking for Senior Mechanical Engineer for our client in Franklin Lakes, NJ
Job Title: Senior Mechanical Engineer
Job Location: Franklin Lakes, NJ
Job Type: Contract
“W2 candidates are encouraged to apply. We are unable to sponsor H1b or work with third-party candidates at this time.”
- The senior Mechanical Engineer is a key contributor in the Concept & Technology (C&T) team.
- The C&T team is a multi-disciplinary front-end innovation team comprised of mechanical, electrical, biomedical and software engineers that work closely with our MDS Strategic Innovation Group to identify and develop new opportunities for our MDS business.
- The key to this role is having significant depth and experience as a mechanical engineer and an entrepreneurial can-do mindset.
- The applicant should be very hands-on and be passionate about developing innovative solutions that are aimed at improving clinical outcomes, patient experience and workflow for healthcare professionals.
- The applicant should have a positive attitude and ability to work in a team environment.
Responsibilities, skills, and behaviors that an engineer should expect to experience or express in this role include:
- Gain understanding of customer needs through literature review, observing customer interviews, direct observation, competitive analysis, prototype evaluation, and clinical/simulated use studies.
- Ideate new concepts and product solutions based on identified customer needs.
- Translate customer needs into specific engineering requirements.
- Defining tasks, timeline and required resources to deliver on the mechanical design portion of a project brief, with strong accountability for successful completion of agreed-upon deliverables.
- Demonstrated expertise in CAD modeling (preferably SolidWorks) with a passion for solving complex mechanical problems with (seemingly) simple mechanical designs.
- Desire to build proof-of-principle prototypes by “getting your hands dirty? and using basic machining equipment, hand-held tools, and creative unconventional techniques.
- Demonstrated creation of new concepts and/or Intellectual Property (IP) as well as an understanding of Intellectual Property with elements of offensive and defensive design.
- Demonstrated expertise in creating component and assembly drawings that utilize traditional tolerancing and Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) as appropriate.
- Places importance on design for usability, molding, assembly, and scalability for high volume production.
Desire to select, collaborate with, and manage internal and external partners to create component parts and/or assemblies using the following techniques:
- Injection Molding.
- Metal Stamping and Bending.
- Machining (CNC, lathe, drill press, etc.).
- Rapid Prototyping – SLA, 3D Printing, & CARBON.
- Ultrasonic Welding & Swaging.
Knowledge of how to apply design analysis and optimization techniques such as:
- First Principles Modeling.
- Basic and Statistical Tolerance Stacks.
- Finite Element Analysis (FEA) and Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD).
- Experimental Testing & Design of Experiments (DOEs).
Experience utilizing Design for Six Sigma Tools and concepts such as but not limited to:
- Pugh concept selection matrices, Fishbone Diagrams, Functional Block Diagrams, Transfer Functions, Statistical Analysis, Sensitivity against Variation, and Robustness against Noise.
- Desire to work closely with electrical engineers to create innovative electro-mechanical systems that utilize transducers, sensors, power supply, and custom circuits.
- Ability to generate protocols, reports, and presentations to share information with team members and independent reviewers as part of the Technical Reviews and Constructive Challenge.
- Highly motivated self-starter with the ability to multi-task and drive to achieve results with minimal oversight.
- Collaborating with vendors/suppliers to develop a costed BOM for designs.
- BS in Mechanical Engineering.
- 2 years’ work experience as a mechanical engineer, preferably in the high volume industry.
- Experience with a variety of prototyping techniques, such as 3D printing, SLA, machining, molding.
- MS in mechanical engineering.
- Strong drive and initiative.
- Ability to deal with a high level of ambiguity.
- Experience with electromechanical devices.
- Effective interpersonal and collaborative skills.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to motivate and influence associates.
- Experience interfacing with other engineering disciplines, specifically Electrical Engineering and embedded software.
- Experience in the medical industry and associated design control development methods.