Cyanotech Corporation is a world leader in microalgae technology, producing BioAstin® and Hawaiian Spirulina Pacifica®.
This is a full-time, non-exempt position. This position is responsible for Spirulina production system data and adjustments as necessary to stay within set operating specifications. This position will be responsible for the data necessary to track Spirulina system performance as well as data necessary for operational set point adjustments necessary to stay within system specifications, such as nutrient analyses, pond data, and harvest/processing data. This position will be responsible for chemical analyses of cultivation media and water sources in order to facilitate optimal operation of our systems. The position is also responsible for support of all Research and Development projects related to microalgae production and processing. The position requires extensive attention to detail, adherence to SOPs, documentation and recordkeeping. Employees in this position will work a designated schedule including weekends and holidays.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
• Ensures that analytical testing is performed accurately and recorded in a timely manner. This includes pond monitoring, nutrient analysis, and feeding to meet set specifications.
• Maintains consistent knowledge of Spirulina production system condition and health as it relates to optimal production output.
• Maintains optimal Spirulina culture conditions through daily monitoring and adjustments.
• Monitors visual quality of the Spirulina system via weekly full-farm microscopy.
• Ensures necessary supplies are on site to perform duties.
• Maintains laboratory and equipment in a clean and safe condition.
• Maintains close communication with fellow department members and Spirulina Pond staff in order to optimize system operation.
• Ensures accurate and timely data entry of information to network storage.
• Operates a variety of systems in the cultivation of algae.
• Maintains clean cultures, and adheres to clean culture SOPs.
• Monitors algae culture health and harvesting.
• Identifies problems and recommends solutions.
• Updates production and cultivation protocols.
• Maintains inventory of all nutrients and chemicals ensuring that all items are in stock and ready for use or on order.
• Assists as needed with production of various algal species for research.
• Participates as needed in research and development for optimizing production systems.
• Complies with GMP and safety guidelines in all work duties. Helps maintain a safe laboratory.
• Performs other duties that may be assigned.
This position requires standing and working at a lab bench, sitting at a computer and working outdoors in the sun. Must be able to walk on uneven surfaces safely, and climb tall platform ladders and lifting up to 50 lbs.
Work is performed inside under laboratory conditions as well as outside, in a sunny, hot climate. Protection from sun exposure may be required. Position requires some handling of chemicals, with appropriate personal protective equipment. The daily duties may also include working in wet, slippery areas such as in ponds.
• Bachelor’s degree in Aquaculture, Biology, Chemistry, Agriculture, Marine Science or relevant discipline.
• One year of lab experience and/or experience in algal production, aquaculture or farming preferred.
• Ability to work efficiently and cooperatively in a fast-paced farming/production environment.
• Must have a valid driver’s license to be certified for operating forklifts, Sky Trak and tractors.
• Proficiency in math and PC-based computer applications including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
• Ability to multi-task and adapt to changes in work assignments.
• Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
• Strong verbal, written and interpersonal skills, as well as analytical testing skills.
• Able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
Cyanotech provides a GENEROUS BENEFITS PACKAGE including:
-Full medical and dental for employee and all dependents including chiropractic coverage (nothing withheld from check)
-401(k) with a 2% contribution
-Short and Long-term disability coverage
-3 weeks of PTO
Post-offer background check and drug screen are performed. Must be 18 years or older.
Cyanotech Corporation is an EOE Minorities/Women/Disability/Veterans
All candidates must provide a resume to be considered.