Head Start CACFP (Child and Adult Care Food Program) Specialist
What We're Looking For:
We are seeking a CACFP (Child and Adult Care Food Program) Specialist who under supervision of the Health Services Manager, ensures nutrition services are provided in accordance with State and Federal guidelines. The CACFP Specialist is responsible for tracking and record keeping of nutrition and food services; meal orders, meal deliveries/received, invoices, meal claiming and monitoring. The ideal candidate will also have the following responsibilities:
- Assists in writing and monitoring the Nutrition Service Area Plan annually for the program
- Establishes policies and procedures for the nutrition portion of the program with parents and staff that support the effective implementation of nutrition services.
- CACFP: Works cooperatively with staff person responsible for fiscal in monitoring the CACFP program and completing the application for sponsorship. Checks menu books for complete, appropriate, accurate documentation. Conducts kitchen monitoring reviews.
- Administers and complies with all relevant CACFP and Head Start regulations.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of Performance Standards including specific knowledge of Child Nutrition and Disabilities (1308) portion of the Standards.
- Estimates daily or weekly needs and requisitions food supplies and equipment through established procurement procedures.
- Food supplies and equipment inventory, purchasing of food supplies, assuring re-stocking schedule is adhered to
- Develops and implements internal policies and procedures related to food services and handling at the sites.
- Serves as the CACFP resource for teachers, home visitors and family services staff.
- Provides training and coaching for staff and teachers on food handling and sanitation, as well as providing parent orientation and training on nutrition and food safety.
- Develops and implements a plan and system of continuous monitoring and evaluation of activities within the program. Keeps complete records and documentation of all contacts.
- Assists in overseeing the procurement of the purchasing of all food products and commodities for the program.
- Assists in developing the scope of nutrition related contracts and works closely with various vendors.
- Produces reports monthly on the status of food services and meal claiming.
- Eats periodically in each classroom to monitor food acceptance, portions and appeal. Provides feedback to registered dietitian and food vendor.
- Supervises the proper storage of food supplies.
- Participates in quarterly health and sanitation inspections of the food service facilities.
- Monitors and maintains a schedule that ensures that food is prepared and distributed to the various sites in an efficient and timely manner.
- Keeps daily record of meals served.
- Conducts quarterly CACFP monitoring of all centers.
- Monitors Point-of-Service on a weekly basis.
- Other duties as assigned.
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES YOU SHOULD POSSESS:
- Associate's Degree in early childhood education, nutrition or related field. Any related combination of training and/or experience that could likely provide the desired skills, knowledge or abilities may be considered.
- One (1) year of experience in CACFP within head start, detailed record keeping and excellent communication, computer/database & keyboarding skills; data entry. Working knowledge of local community resources related to nutrition services; experience in child health and nutrition services, desirable.
- Knowledge of Child and Adult Care Food Program Regulations, Child Care Licensing Regulations and Head Start Performance Standards; in addition to best practices related to education and early childhood development, staffing and program options.
- Knowledge of Health and Nutrition principles and theories.
- Ability to communicate, both oral and written, to individuals with diverse backgrounds
- Ability to speak, read and write English well enough to understand and be understood by others; bilingual skills are helpful
- Ability to speak before groups of individuals
- Ability to relate to diverse groups of people including low-income families.
- Ability to develop warm, open relationship with children, parents and staff.
- Ability to promote Head Start to children, families, co-workers and community.
- Ability to exhibit great sensitivity when working as a team member with other staff and parents.
- Under the supervision of the Health Services Manager this position must implement and follow Child and Adult Care Food Program Regulations, Child Care Licensing Regulations and Head Start Performance Standards and best practices related to early childhood education and children with special needs.
- Must oversee all monitoring and maintenance of documentation, data and files and ensures utmost confidentiality of information. Includes program file requirements, training documents, and tracking.
- Must possess a valid California driver's license, have use of a motor vehicle and provide evidence of automobile liability insurance.
- Must meet State health requirements including passing a physical examination as a condition of employment
- Must provide verification of a TB clearance and immunization clearances at the time of employment.
- Mandatory CPR and Basic First Aid certificate, which employee is responsible to maintain for the duration of their employment with Head Start.
- Fingerprints must be on file with the Justice Department.
- This position is identified as a mandated reporter of suspected child abuse.
Crystal Stairs is committed to building and sustaining a diverse workforce and culture. As part of this commitment, Crystal Stairs provides equal opportunity in all of our employment practices, including selection, hiring, promotion, transfer, and compensation, to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, medical condition as defined by state law, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identification, ethnic group identification, mental or physical disability, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, or any other legally protected status.
Job Posted by ApplicantPro