Crowell & Moring LLP is an international law firm with approximately 500 lawyers representing clients in litigation and arbitration, regulatory, and transactional matters. The firm is internationally recognized for its representation of Fortune 500 companies in high-stakes litigation, as well as its ongoing commitment to pro bono service and diversity. The firm has offices in Washington, D.C., New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Orange County, London, and Brussels.Job Description
The Pro Bono Counsel will work with the Firm’s Pro Bono Partner and the Public Service Committee in the direction, coordination, expansion, and administration of the Firm’s pro bono program in all of its U.S. offices. Demonstrated success in the Counsel role may lead to the opportunity over time to be considered for partnership and leadership of the Firm’s Pro Bono program.
- Collaborates with the Pro Bono Partner and the Public Service Committee to maximize pro bono participation and to ensure Firm pro bono objectives are met through evaluation and placement of pro bono matters with Firm attorneys, organization of substantive legal trainings, coordinating with referral organizations and assembling client teams
- Manages case opening procedures, including drafting approval memoranda and retainer letters, and ensuring appropriate staffing
- Assists in developing and implementing questionnaires and other tools to assess areas of pro bono interest and expertise
- Works with the Pro Bono Partner and Lawyer Development Committee to develop and promote pro bono opportunities that foster attorney skill and professional development
- Assists in compiling and analyzing data and reports trends in Firm wide, office and practice group participation in the Firm’s pro bono program
- Assists with recruitment for and coordination of the Firm’s loaned attorney and Summer Associate Public Interest Fellowship programs
- Works with the Pro Bono Partner and Pro Bono Paralegal to produce pro bono newsletters and participate in other promotional efforts, including new attorney orientation, summer associate orientation and presentations at attorney group meetings
- Develops and oversees pro bono partnerships with Firm fee-generating clients in collaboration with the Pro Bono Partner and relevant relationship partners
- Handles modest number of matters in a substantive area relevant to the Firm’s pro bono practice. Through legal practice, develops strong ties to attorneys in non-profit organizations which refer pro bono matters to the Firm.
- Works with Pro Bono Partner and Public Service Committee to develop case management and further database development to improve the tracking of pro bono matters and effectiveness of pro bono management systems
- Together with the Pro Bono Partner, supervises Pro Bono support team, including paralegals and administrative assistant
- Interacts with legal services providers and other referral organizations in each of the Firm’s geographies to maintain existing relationships and expand and innovate to develop new referral partnerships
- Serves as liaison for the Firm to pro bono promotional organizations in D.C. and on the national level, such as the D.C. Bar Pro Bono Program, the Association of Pro Bono Counsel and the Washington Council of Lawyers
- Serves as “pro bono ambassador” for the Firm, attending and organizing conferences and meetings relevant to pro bono practice to raise the profile of the Firm’s pro bono program
- Assists in responding to media, Bar, and other organizational surveys, such as the American Lawyer Survey and Empire State Counsel request
- Facilitates development of internal and external pro bono communications, liaising with the Firm’s marketing department
- Develops pro bono content for RFP responses and client pitches as necessary, liaising with the Firm’s marketing department
- Performs other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in writing and verbally with lawyers and staff
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities and maintain a productive and committed work effort, meeting deadlines and managing workload
- Ability to represent the firm with honesty, integrity, and professionalism, consistently acting in an ethical manner
- Should have strong interpersonal and client service skills
- Working knowledge of legal ethics, risk management and loss prevention concepts
- Demonstrated ability to lead and effectively collaborate with teams
- Ability to manage large projects or programs across offices
- Strong analytical ability and excellent problem solving and oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to apply innovation to the area and firm challenges to identify problems, and propose and implement solutions.
The position requires a J.D. and D.C. bar membership (or qualified for immediate waiver into DC Bar).
The position requires at least seven years of legal experience, with a strong preference for experience in pro bono practice management and litigation. Law firm experience preferred.
Qualified candidates only. EOE m/f/d/v
Search agency submissions are NOT being considered at this time.