Crow Engineering provides engineering design and consultancy services to its clients in the wood products, industrial, and heavy commercial industries. The mechanical designer position is responsible for the design of industrial systems required for the operation of sawmills and industrial facilities. Typical system designs would include: conveyor systems, ladders, saw systems, material flow equipment, process support design, material handling systems and other process equipment as required. The individual would be responsible for generating high quality designs and/or checking other team member’s designs. The individual would interact with Crow Engineering Project Managers and Senior Mechanical Designers to obtain timelines, scope and expectations surrounding work. From time to time this individual will interface with key equipment vendors and clients.
Crow Engineering has a wealth of experience in the wood products industry, specifically with sawmill systems. Candidates are required to show they can respect and adopt proven design standards while balancing the needs of introducing innovation.
It is expected from each of Crow Engineering’s team members that they can provide significant value to our clients. This value comes through providing high quality, innovative and reliable design work that our clients respect the value of. All team members must provide value in their space as an extension of the overall Crow Engineering team.
Essential Duties and responsibilities:
Mechanical Designer Responsibilities
· Execute design work for conveyors, lumber/log transfers, structural steel, and other basic machinery design.
· Can accept moderately difficult open-ended tasks and comes up with creative ways to meet the client’s needs.
· Must be able to document design specifications and customer requirements through interacting with senior Crow staff.
· Work closely with Project Managers to ensure client’s needs are being met in a timely, cost effective, and high-quality manner.
· Must be able to learn the Crow Engineering checking process and check the work of other designer’s designs.
· Must be able to work under pressure and self-manage their own priorities.
· Must be able to perform basic mechanical calculations to validate designs. Calculations include but are not limited to:
o Drive/Motor Power Calculations
o Safety Margins
o Hydraulic Power Requirements
o Pump, Piping and Fluid Based Process Capacity Design
o Other calculations requirements as needed.
· Provide a work product that is above average based on industry expectations that demands a value with our clients.
· Proactively escalates needs/roadblocks to other project managers and other senior designers.
· Ensures revision control is in place and effective when working on client designs.
· Can help build standards, best known methods, and training documentation for future new hires.
· Strong English written/verbal skills.
· The ability to work and provide direction in a team environment with minimal supervision
· The ability to work under time constraints and adapt to change
· Working knowledge and experience with material handling systems. Individuals with experience with sawmill or general wood products industry expertise are preferred.
· Mechanical Design Knowledge of Heavy Industrial Equipment is Required
· Working knowledge of process driven manufacturing facilities.
· Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and group situations to customers, vendors, and other employees of the organization
· Strong Design/Drafting skills within design software systems.
· Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills
· Excellent attention to detail
· >3-5 years of relevant work experience
· A technical or engineering degree is preferred but not required.
· AutoCAD experience, or experience in similar systems to AutoCAD. Experience with 3D modeling systems.
· Experience with engineering change order and version control systems.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. Physical demands are characteristic of a typical office environment.
· Ability to lift 25lbs on occasion
· Sit for long periods of time
· Reaching above head for items
· Individual must be able to wear appropriate PPE equipment while onsite at client locations.
· Employee must be able to able to crawl, climb, or enter areas of our client’s facility (in a safe manner) that are not normally accessible from walkways or other access ways.
· Ability to use a computer and telephone system
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Work environment is characteristic of a typical office environment with average noise levels and lighting
· Maintain work regular schedule consistent with department norms
· Constant interruptions
Crow Engineering, Inc.