We are looking for a compassionate Veterinary Assistant to support our veterinarian in providing excellent care to our patients. You will be responsible for assisting veterinary staff in examining and monitoring animal patients, performing administrative tasks, and maintaining clean and sanitary conditions in the exam and operating rooms. Our ideal candidate is willing to learn new skills and develop their talents as an assistant. You must have a passion for caring for animals and excellent customer service skills.
Veterinary Assistant Duties and Responsibilities
- Care for animals by bathing, feeding, watering, and exercising
- Assist in holding and restraining animals during exams and surgical procedures
- Clean and sterilize instruments, equipment, and tools
- Ensure exam and operating rooms are stocked and sterilized
- Change animal bandages, bedding, and kennel materials
- Ensure all cages and kennels are clean
- Administer medications
- Assist in collecting samples such as blood or urine for testing
- Communicate with owners and families on surgery and recovery instructions
- Perform administrative duties such as updating files and processing payments
Veterinary Assistant Requirements and Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent; associate degree or course credit in veterinary technology or animal science from an American Veterinary Medical Association-accredited program a plus
- 1+ years of experience in animal care or in a clinic preferred
- Able to multitask, prioritize, and manage time efficiently
- Basic understanding of animal behavior and health care
- Passion for working with animals and their owners
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Excel)
- Attention to detail in order to maintain accurate patient records
- Physical ability to restrain larger pets when necessary
- Able to work weekends, extended hours, and holidays
It is our goal to educate and involve clients in developing individualized preventative health care plans that are best for their special companions. Our staff utilizes state-of-the-art technology and methods to provide the best quality veterinary care.
We are proud to be staffed with a team of animal lovers who are dedicated to caring for pets, and we gladly extend that love to our community as well by volunteering our time and services to several different pet organizations such as Animal Allies, Feline Foundation of Greater Washington, Oldies But Goodies Cocker Rescue, and many more.