Remote Construction Underwriter
CrossCountry Mortgage, LLC. Brecksville, OH
- Posted: over a month ago
CrossCountry Mortgage started in Cleveland in 2003, when our President and CEO Ronald J. Leonhardt, Jr., had the vision to become a nationwide full-service lender that could provide more to customers — meeting their home financing needs, being there every step of the way, and making homeownership dreams possible and affordable. We’re continuing to expand our nationwide footprint, and we’re not stopping any time soon!
We Care! CrossCountry Mortgage offers eligible employees a robust, industry leading benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance, as well as a 401(k) plan with a generous employer match! We also offer company-provided Short-Term Disability, Employee Assistance, and Wellness Programs. Those who work at our corporate headquarters in Northeast Ohio also enjoy a casual dress code, an on-site market café, and an upbeat working environment!
The Construction Loan Underwriter is responsible for providing consistent, accurate, and quality loan decisions in accordance with CrossCountry Mortgage, LLC. and secondary market investor standards. This position is responsible for evaluating FHA and VA loans to maximize organizational profit and minimize risk or loss and examines loan documentation for accuracy and completeness. The Construction Loan Underwriter will collaborate with loan originators, branch managers, and or production staff to secure all required documents.
The Construction Loan Underwriter is responsible for validating income, asset and collateral documents including self-employed tax returns. The Construction Loan Underwriter may be involved in one or several types of mortgage lending (conventional, government-backed, etc.). Lending authority to include conventional, government, and jumbo loan programs. Excellent phone and communication skills and a value of providing superior customer service to internal and external customers required.
- Evaluates loan applications for risks and various criteria such as investor requirements, accuracy, consistency and completeness.
- Ability to review Construction-related documents to ensure they meet agency requirements. i.e. Construction contracts, plans and specs, description of materials, etc.
- Review new loan files to ensure loan meets investor and program criteria. Minimum standard of 60 loans per month and a turn time of 24 hours required.
- Review transmittal & 1003 to make sure it is accurate and complete, compare to findings to verify that all information matches.
- Review credit report and compare to liabilities on 1003. Verify the investor guidelines for outstanding derogatory items and requirement payment or satisfaction if needed. Request updated mortgage history if needed.
- Calculate income using documentation required per investor, questioning any large changes in income.
- Review assets statements to compare to required assets. Require documentation and source for any recent large deposits.
- Review title to verify our borrower has ownership on a refinance transaction and that the seller has ownership for purchase transaction. Check that chain of title meets investor requirements. Verify there are no unpaid liens or judgments and that all mortgage liens being paid off through the transaction. Compare tax figures to 1003.
- Review appraisal to ensure the value is supported and that the appraiser has provided complete accurate appraisal. Order value review on loans considered high risk.
- Review file to make sure compliance has been met; regulatory, state compliance and federal (patriot act).
- Calculate net tangible benefit for those states that require this test
- Verify that the rate lock matches the underwriting file with the correct program, LTV, credit score and pre-payment penalty.
- Review final conditions turned in for Underwriting Final Approval within 24 hours.
- Review a minimum number of files per day as assigned by the Underwriting Manager, between 4-8 files per day, to include new submissions, re-submissions & final conditions.
- Maintain current and fluid knowledge of investor and agency guidelines.
- Approves loan with proper documentation or recommends further action.
- Communicates effectively and engages proactively with loan originators, processors, branch managers, funders and post-closers in regards to loan decisions, assignment of loan conditions, investor guidelines/documentation requirements and possible loan scenarios.
- Applies knowledge of underwriting and pre-underwriting to best serve loan applicant and investor needs.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Must have 2 years of Construction Lending Underwriting experience.
- 5+ years of recent Mortgage Underwriting Experience (FHA, VA and Conventional) with strong agency guideline knowledge.
- Conventional Construction is a plus but not required.
- DE, SAR and LAPP certifications are required; experience with USDA is a plus.
- Strong working knowledge of ATR/QM Requirements.
- Encompass LOS experience is a plus.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, fluid environment and be held to minimum production standards.
- High integrity and outstanding work ethic required.
- Strong computer skills; proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Must have proficient written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of compliance and disclosure requirements.
- Knowledge of closing, post-closing & quality control responsibilities.
- Ability to work remotely.
CrossCountry Mortgage, LLC offers MORE than a job, we offer a career. Apply now to begin your path to success! https://crosscountrymortgage.com/about-us/careers/apply/
CrossCountry Mortgage, LLC. (NMLS3029) is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to workforce diversity. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, religion, color, orientation, gender, age, national origin, veteran status, disability status or marital status. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation. CrossCountry Mortgage, LLC. is an FHA Approved Lending Institution and is not acting on behalf of or at the direction of HUD/FHA or the Federal government. To verify licensing, please visit www.NMLSConsumerAccess.org.
CrossCountry Mortgage, LLC.
Finance and InsuranceView all jobs at CrossCountry Mortgage, LLC.