Job Title: Civil Engineer
Job Location: Portsmouth, VA
Crofton Industries is a full-service Marine Construction and Commercial Diving Contractor that has been in business since 1949. We are seeking an experienced Civil Engineer. Candidate must be reliable, knowledgeable, and highly motivated to join our team in our Portsmouth, Virginia office.
The Civil Engineer I will assist in the development of plans and project documents associated with the inspection, design, and construction of waterfront facilities. In addition, the position will lead and support the estimating and drafting divisions with preparation of drawings, permits and pre-construction estimates. Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of defined variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Must have the ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule format. Analytical mathematics capabilities relating to geometry, trigonometry, arithmetic, and algebra are required. Ability to read and interpret plans, specifications and safety documents. Capable of working in outdoor conditions, often on or around water in adverse weather conditions. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees with organizational abilities that include preparation to allow presentation of drawings, calculations, and written reports.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering from an ABET accredited program.
- EIT required.
- Must be proficient in CAD, 3D capability is a benefit.
- Working knowledge of Windows and MS Office.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Excel.
- Knowledge of Group 8, Dyna Pile, Pile Buck, and Hypack software is a benefit.
- Knowledge of scheduling programs such as Primavera or MS Project.
Candidate preference will be given to individuals with the following credentials:
- Trained in Commercial Diving.
- Formal (NHI) training relating to bridge inspection, underwater inspection, and rehabilitation of existing structures.
- Certification or training in underwater imaging.
- Basic seamanship including small vessel operations and navigation.
- Basic understanding of rigging, heavy lift, and crane operations.
- Basic understanding of marine architecture with respect to the application of engineering and properties relating to physics.
- Strong verbal and written capabilities are a must.
- Design of simple structures of concrete, steel, and timber to include simple span structures, frames and trusses, form, and falsework.
- Basic understanding of DGPS systems.
If you are looking for a career, with a company committed to your future, apply today. Crofton is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer, Affirmative Action (AA) Employer Qualified Minorities, Females, Individuals with Disabilities and Veterans are encouraged to apply. Crofton is a Drug-Free Workplace and E-Verify Employer.