Under limited supervision, Automation Field Sales Engineer is responsible for the direct sale of company products. Calls on prospective customers in person and provides technical information and/or demonstrates company products. Products are highly technical electrical/electronic equipment, which requires that the FSE have extensive professional engineering and sales knowledge.
Qualified candidates must have the ability and initiative, plus a proven track record, of closing the sale! Electrical Engineering Degree preferred, plus 4- 6years sales experience preferred selling PLC and Touch Screens and operator interface components. Excellent verbal and written communications skills are critical for this customer-interface position, plus proficiency with Windows, Excel, Word, & PowerPoint software. The candidate will be responsible for the development of prospects and the maintenance of existing clients to sell our extensive line of products, supplies, or services, all of which will require your sales skills and professional engineering knowledge. Self-motivated and self-disciplined, you will be working out of your own home office. You will be responsible for your own travel schedule - noting that some overnight travel may be required. Mostly local driving, but estimate up to 40% travel time away from home a month.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Developing and maintaining customer contacts through planned sales calls on existing and prospective customers.
- Increasing the level of OEM business, based on company strategy and business plan.
- Identifying and participating in the customer design cycle.
- A proven track record of closing the sale!
- The ability to solve application problems that the customer may encounter.
- Good knowledge of PLC programming conventions and automation design applications.
- Basic knowledge of safety strategies and standards for the industrial market.
- Good understanding of automation and control needs in the marine and oil and gas markets.
- Work with distributors and customer’s engineering staff to have products specified.
- Communicate with internal and external customers regarding new or improved products and other opportunities in the channel.
- Conduct product training sessions, and new product updates, for distributors and end-user OEMs. Handle sales promotions.
- Good verbal and written communication skills are critical for this customer-interface position, plus application capability in windows, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint software.
- Prepare quotes for special price competition.
- Make recommendations for adding or reducing local distribution.
- Prepares own travel schedule and productive use of time. Maintains customer contact reports for service and follow-up. Some overnight travel, mostly local driving, depending upon territory. Estimate up to 40% away from home travel time a month. Responsible for judicious use of company expenses.
- Valid driver’s license including a good driving record and the ability to safely operate a motor vehicle on a regular basis.
- Assist OEM’s in the technical design and implementation of their products through the production stage, while promoting products.
- Motivate distributor channel to improve performance.
- Submittal of all reports (expenses, mileage, Upshot, channel analysis, Champion Plans, etc.) in a timely manner as required.
- Other duties may be assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Knowledge of Salesforce.com software is required.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Requires a Bachelor's degree (B.S degree in electrical engineering preferred) and 2 – 4 or more years sales experience preferred selling PLC and operator interface components. Prefer a technical background. Must be able to make sales presentations and close orders.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.