Hospice Certified Nurse Assistant
- Vision , Medical , Dental , Paid Time Off , Life Insurance , Retirement
TITLE: Hospice Aide/Home Attendant
REPORTS TO: Director of Clinical Services FLSA: Non-exempt
I. primary functions/general purpose of position:
As a member of the interdisciplinary team, the home attendant will provide personal care services to the terminally ill patient and perform related tasks in the patient/family home in accordance with the plan of treatment as assigned by the primary nurse. Responsible to the Director of Clinical Services and the primary nurse for carrying out the duties assigned in order to increase the level of comfort, and to maintain personal hygiene and a safe, health environment for the patient, and to provide for temporary respite and relief from total care responsibilities for the primary caregiver.
II. EMPLOYMENT QUALIFICATIONS:
1. Individuals employed or individuals provided by contractual agreement to deliver Home Attendant services shall be able to speak, read, and write English and be qualified by one of the following means:
A. Hold a certificate of completion from a nurse aide training program approved by the Virginia Board of Nursing;
B. Have certification as a nurse aide issued by the Virginia Board of Nursing;
C. Be successfully enrolled in a nursing education program preparing for RN or practical nurse licensure and have currently completed at least one nursing course which includes clinical experience involving patient care ;or.
D. Have satisfactorily passed a competency evaluation that meets the criteria of 42 CFR 484.36(b) (see attached) or;
E. completed a nursing education program preparing for RN licensure or Practical Nurse licensure.
2. One year of recent experience in a home care environment.
3. Work requires educational level of high school diploma or GED.
4. Current CPR certification.
5. Demonstrated ability to make meaningful observations and write brief, accurate reports.
6. Demonstrated ability to recognize the needs of people and to maintain good relationships in dealing with them.
7. Satisfactory completion of the competency evaluation and written test administered by the staff at Crater Community Hospice, Inc.
8. Demonstrated ability to communicate with all clients and staff in a sensitive manner.
9. Work requires the employee to travel outside the office and provide their own transportation with mileage reimbursement from the agency.
10. Completion of hospice orientation.
11. Completion of relevant in-service education or training in the amount of at least 12 hours annually. This may be in conjunction with the on-site supervision completed in the patient’s home by the Case Manager not less than every two weeks.
iii. ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Assisting patients with personal hygiene, including shower, tub or bed baths and mouth, skin and hair care.
2. Assisting patients in the use of toilet facilities, including bed pans.
3. Assisting patients in and out of bed, including the use of mechanical lifting equipment, when applicable.
4. Assisting patients with walking, including the use of walkers and wheelchairs, when applicable.
5. Assisting patients with administration of oral or topical medications that the patient would normally self-administer.
6. Assisting with meal preparation and feeding, when required.
7. Performing and recording the results of simple urine tests for sugar, acetone or albumin.
8. Assisting with prescribed exercises when the patient and the nursing assistant have been instructed by the appropriate health professional.
9. Measuring and recording fluid intake and output.
10. Taking and recording blood pressure, pulse and respiration.
11. Recording and reporting changes to the nurse supervisor in the patient’s physical condition, behavior or appearance.
12. Documenting services delivered and observations in accordance with hospice medical records policies and procedures.
13. Receiving specific written duty instructions from the nurse supervisor and any other health professional who is relying upon the aide to deliver service or assist the patient (prior to delivery of service).
14. Contacting families in advance of visit and setting approximate time of arrival.
15. Performing any other duties that the attendant is qualified to do by additional training and demonstrated competency, within state guidelines.
iv. OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. assist with office duties, errands as assigned.
V. WORKING CONDITIONS:
1. Works in normal office conditions where there are few physical discomforts due to dust, dirt, noise.
2. Work requires travel outside the agency, approximately within a 50 mile radius. May require provision of service in high crime areas, poor environmental conditions, and non-handicapped accessible sites.
3. The individual performing this job may reasonably anticipate coming into contact with human blood and other potentially infectious materials. Individuals in this position are required to exercise universal precautions, use personal protective equipment and devices, and learn the policies concerning infection control.
VI. CRATER COMMUNITY HOSPICE, INC. MISSION FOCUS:
All employees are responsible for extending the mission and values of Crater Community Hospice, Inc. by understanding each customer, treating each patient, staff member, and community in a dignified manner with respect, kindness, and understanding and subscribing to the organization’s commitment to quality and service.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $16.00 - $20.00 per hour
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- Long term care
- Nursing home
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
Crater Community Hospice follows all recommendations set by the CDC and VDH. We require all employees to be vaccinated for COVID-19.
- Caregiving: 1 year (Required)
- CPR Certification (Preferred)
- CNA License (Required)
Work Location: On the road
Crater Community HospicePetersburg, VA
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.