Job Title: Electrical Engineer FLSA Status: Exempt
Location: Los Angeles Reports To: VP of Engineering
Barksdale, founded in 1949, is a leading manufacturer of highly engineered control products. As a subsidiary of Crane Co. a $3B industrial conglomerate, Barksdale has a leading brand position in instrumentation, with focus on General Industrial, Oil & Gas and Transportation end markets. With proprietary technologies, Barksdale’s, regulators, pressure switches and electronic instrumentation products have carved a niche for themselves in demanding applications. Supported by strong financial standing, the business is positioned to continue double-digit annual growth over the next 5 – 10 years. .
The electrical engineer is a key contributor to the development of Barksdale’s electronic instrumentation portfolio. This role will be instrumental in the developing Barksdale’s new electronic control products by performing functional requirements generation, architectural design, hardware design including prototyping, PCB and interface design, software architecture development and firmware development. In addition, this engineer will coordinate work in the electrical engineering discipline, working with resources on site and in design centers abroad. Further, this individual will be working with cross-functional teams to support and sustain existing products across their lifecycle.
· New product development: Lead end to end design of instrumentation and control products (such as monitors, transmitters, and electronic switches) from concept to successful launch, meeting delivery schedule, cost and quality requirements, in line with a structured stage gate process
o Architectural design: develop architectural options to meet the concept/market needs
o Prototype development: Develop sub-system and system level prototypes across hardware, firmware and software modules
o Integration: Ensure that the packaging of the electronics components is in accordance with the mechanical design, resulting in a functional system
o Testing & troubleshooting: Diagnose hardware/software issues through lab testing and conduct thorough functional testing to meet specifications and certification requirements.
· Sustaining Engineering:
o Support value engineering and cost-out initiatives
o Engage with a sense of urgency in addressing customer quality issues
· Team Leadership: Lead project team for portions of or a complete project, which generally involves directing the work of others and working with engineering resources in Germany and/or India design centers.
· Engineering support: Prepare or direct the preparation of documentation such as schematics, drawings, software functional specifications, parts lists, test procedures, instructional materials and other related information relevant to the project
· Communication: Interface as required with other disciplines including operations, quality assurance, purchasing to resolve problems and achieve required objectives
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE / REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
· BS degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering; Master’s degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering preferred
· 3-5 years relevant work experience
· Effective in electronic design and embedded systems:
o PCB design and experience with design software tools including layout for different layers, trace width, via, component packages, pad arrangements and Surface Mount Technologies (SMT).
o Embedded designs (microprocessor, RAM, EEPROM), analog circuit design (OP-Amps, Filters, SPICE simulation), power Supplies, digital circuit design, signal conversion and filtering, Crystal oscillator circuits, UART circuits, LED/LCD and key pads, Timing constraints, signal quality analysis and frequency response.
o Must be proficient at Altium (or equivalent PCB design tools) and embedded software architecture
· Ability to collaborate within and across teams
· Experience with software communication protocols used in control system designs. Examples include, ModBus, CANbus, HART, or IO-Link
· Software design process used in the embedded environment including the design of drivers for hardware, Main routine/sub-routines, OS and RTOS functions and system communication functions (i.e. FIFO, interrupts, stack,…)and the embedded design tools for compiling and debugging the software
· Preferred instrumentation design experience
The successful candidate will be paid a competitive compensation package commensurate with the important responsibilities of this role.