Modern Healthcare is seeking a creative, multi-faceted Graphic Designer to assist the Creative Services Director in setting the stylistic and artistic direction for the most widely read and trusted news outlet for healthcare executives. The ideal Graphic Designer will have a deep passion for editorial design—print and digital—that enhances the audience experience, and advances storytelling to our executive audience. As part of the Creative Services team—working with both the editorial and business units--the Graphic Designer will have the opportunity to help carry content throughout its life cycle; from conception to design to promotion to post mortem analysis. We are looking for someone who can produce high-impact editorial pages and graphics for print and digital and who is adept at distilling complex concepts and ideas into clean and powerful designs. The Modern Healthcare team environment encourages ownership and a level of autonomy that makes it a perfect fit for self sufficient individuals driven by results and impact.
- Collaborate with the editors and Creative Services Director to conceptualize design for the weekly magazine and the website, including magazine covers, producing layouts of features, news stories and special reports
- Arrange and schedule photo shoots; hire/source photography and illustrations/graphics; collect supplemental art
- Work with the production department to prepare final pages for print—all on deadline.
- Create print, digital and email marketing, sales and events promotions and materials
- 5 years of experience in designing for publications in print and online, at least 2 years in a weekly or bi-weekly, fast-paced, deadline-driven newsroom
- Expert Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat
- Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design or related field (journalism is fine, if your career has taken you down the design road)
- Experience collaborating with editors, reporters, photographers and illustrators on story content and presentation with proven problem-solving abilities to resolve design challenges
- Excellent editorial conceptualization, design, layout typographic and informational hierarchy skills demonstrated in a portfolio of work visible via URL
- The candidate must have strong organizational and interpersonal skills to collaborate with a large multi-unit team of editors, journalists, marketers and custom content creators
- The ideal candidate will be an exceptional multi-tasker who can work through day-to-day operations of an editorial department while pursing multiple projects with tight deadlines.
- The candidate must have exceptional creative vision, an expansive design vocabulary, a keen eye for photography, excellent typography skills, the ability to lead and communicate effectively with others—internally and externally. The person must also possess a combination of creative drive and initiative.
- Experience managing competing priorities and multiple projects while meeting strict deadlines
- Experience prototyping/wireframing layouts for digital
- Experience conceiving and executing the visualization of data using infographics, maps and other projects, on tight deadlines
- Basic HTML/ CSS familiarity and the desire to build on those skills
- An interest in the business of healthcare
- Woodwing experience strongly preferred (at least some experience with a CMS)
- Experience creating print and digital advertising/promotion campaigns and microsite/landing pages
Modern Healthcare is the industry’s leading source of healthcare business and policy news, research and information. We report on important healthcare events and trends, as they happen, through our weekly print magazine, websites, e-newsletters, mobile products and events. Our readers use that information to make informed business decisions and lead their organizations to success. It’s for this reason that Modern Healthcare magazine is ranked No. 1 in readership among healthcare executives and deemed a "must-read" by the who's who in healthcare.
The weekly print magazine, websites, e-newsletters, mobile products and events provide a powerful and all-encompassing industry presence. We ask the tough questions and provide more than just a news report. We deliver in-depth analysis and a look into what's happening next, so readers can understand the impact these issues will have on them, their organizations and the entire industry.
Modern Healthcare leads the market in editorial excellence and is honored to receive awards from ASBPE, ASHPE American Business Media, Trade Association and Business Publications International and the Association of Health Care Journalists, affirming Modern Healthcare's status as the best source for healthcare business and policy news, research and information.
Click HERE to visit us in our Chicago office.
Crain Communications has been at the forefront of the publishing industry for more than a century. Combining information with innovation, Crain delivers the story you can’t get anywhere else. As a privately held company, we maintain a personal responsibility for elevating our work to be the best it can be. Every editor, reporter and correspondent at Crain shares the responsibility of ensuring the editorial independence and importance of our work. With an Audience First focus and uncompromising integrity, we strive to make a real impact for the individuals and industries we serve. While other media companies report the news, Crain gives it meaning. We add context to content, infuse information with insights, and initiate connections as well as conversations.
Crain Communications offers a competitive salary, a generous benefits package, profit sharing, and a friendly work environment. This is a great time to join our organization -- a profitable, well established publishing leader.
Follow Crain on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, Glassdoor