We are a start-up company dedicated to generating cheap, modular, and reliable electricity for all. Expensive mechanical engines and turbines based on 19th-century technology still generate most of the power used worldwide. We seek to replace expensive mechanical engines and turbines with paper-thin heat-to-electricity generators. Over $20 million in VC funding has been committed to our vision. And early commercial success has us expanding our engineering team.
We are seeking a Principal Combustion Design Engineer (CFD Engineer/Thermal System Engineer) with expertise in combustion chemistry and thermodynamics to support product engineering development programs. Work on a brilliant team and enjoy enormous potential for learning, impact, and growth in a small and collaborative team setting. Join us as we move fast to outpace larger companies and achieve what they cannot.
You will perform conceptual design, combustion, and thermal analyses; prepare design sketches and layouts; select raw materials; design and install new experimental hardware; perform combustion experiments and analyze test results.
3 Awesome reasons to work here:
Funding from extremely prominent investors
Help change the energy industry
Watch your Options grow as you work with a highly collaborative, dynamic, and diverse team
What you will be doing
You will perform engineering calculations and analyses to predict combustion component/subsystem performance, including combustion analysis, thermal and heat transfer analysis, steady-state and transient analysis.
· Perform first order hand calculations of the analysis tasks prior to conducting FEA/CFD analysis as necessary
· Create drawings for experimental component/sub-system and other mechanical assemblies
· Utilize laboratory and field test data to correlate and validate analytical models
· Interface closely with combustion sub-system component suppliers
· Interface with the multidisciplinary experimental and computational teams to iterate on prototype designs
· Assemble combustion test rigs, perform combustion experiments, and analyze test results
· Support the evaluation of next-generation designs by the R&D and Engineering teams
What you need for this Position:
Because of the creative thinking required for this role, we believe you should have a master’s degree or higher in Physics Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Chemical Engineering or related.
You should have at least five years of experience designing combustion equipment and related support systems. We are looking for someone with most of the following skills:
· Expert knowledge of combustion chemistry, thermodynamics, and fluid mechanics including flame propagation in complex fuel mixtures, combustion kinetics & chemistry, design and evaluation of new combustion systems, and modeling of combustion systems
· Wide and thorough knowledge of state of the art and standard combustion practices and designs
· Demonstrated hands-on experience with combustion models for CFD and FEA using analysis tools such as Solidworks and ANSYS
· Understanding of heat transfer (conduction, convection, and radiation) and mechanics of materials
· Hands-on experience with planning and performing combustion experiments in a laboratory environment and theoretical/computational analysis
· Experience analyzing laboratory and field test data to correlate and validate analytical models
We’d be really excited if you have some of these additional skills:
• Background in combustion and emissions for boilers and gas furnaces
• Knowledge of power and control electronics implementation
• Hands-on experience using CAD tools (SolidWorks preferred) in the creation of complex mechanical models, fabrication drawings and assembly drawings
• Python programming experience
• Experience working in a startup environment
• Automotive, oil/gas, energy, aerospace and/or defense industry experience
In addition to a highly competitive salary ($90-$140K plus) and a generous benefits package including 100% funded insurance, you will also be granted early stage internal equity. Your hard work will also qualify you for a Flexible working schedule and Flexible time-off.
Key deadlines and milestones await your contributions. So, if you are an Engineer with a background in CFD, Combustion and Thermodynamics, please apply today.