The County of Monterey ITD Infrastructure & Operations Division seeks a Network Systems Engineer III to lead and coordinate highly complex and large infrastructure projects; perform advanced professional and analytical network engineering and technical support for the County's network infrastructure; administer, evaluate, and modify network systems; and perform other related duties as required. The ideal candidate will have solid work experience and knowledge of Cloud and on-premise network technologies such as DevOps or network automation, MPLS, software-defined network, Cisco ACI, Palo Alto Networks firewall, and Azure or Amazon Web Services (AWS).
- Performs advanced level technical support in the design, engineering, installation, configuration and maintenance for assigned infrastructure systems, conducts root cause analysis of highly complex infrastructure malfunctions, and creates and implements solution strategies.
- Leads, plans, coordinates, designs and implements large and highly complex infrastructure projects and solutions.
- Collaborates with project team members, vendors, and stakeholders, and leads the efforts of gathering user and systems requirements, sets deliverables and expectations, develops resource and budget requirements, identifies and evaluates project risks, implements systems and solutions and provides support including writing technical and user documentation.
- Leads the development of guidelines and support documentation on system maintenance, performance criteria, problem identification, fault isolation and system restoration to achieve high availability, reliability, and integrity for County’s infrastructure.
- Provides training for other IT employees and users with varying degrees of IT knowledge and leads, trains, mentors, and advises others on the appropriate course of action for project execution and problem resolution.
- Documents enterprise infrastructure requirements, configurations, operations, and procedures.
- Leads new technology evaluation, and development of long-term and short-term infrastructure technology plans.
- Under limited supervision, designs, implements, and supports infrastructure architecture.
The successful candidate will have a proven track record demonstrating the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
Thorough Knowledge of: Operating system platforms; Infrastructure security architectures and encryption technologies; Infrastructure design, engineering, configuration, installation, maintenance and monitoring methods and techniques of assigned systems and equipment; Advanced techniques and methods of system evaluation, implementation, and documentation; Effective customer service techniques.
Skill and Ability to: Lead, plan, coordinate, design, and implement large and highly complex infrastructure projects and perform advanced technical support functions for assigned systems; Effectively analyze, identify, and diagnose highly complex infrastructure related problems and take corrective measures or make recommendations that lead to problem resolution; Collect, analyze, and interpret procedures and data, develop sound conclusions, and recommend and implement solutions; Produce and assemble technical documentation of infrastructure site surveys, project plans, system diagrams, and wiring schemes consistent with enterprise standards and procedures; Research, learn and apply new technologies to the County’s enterprise infrastructure; Organize and prioritize a variety of projects and multiple tasks in an effective and timely manner; Organize own and others’ work, set priorities, and meet critical time deadlines; Use tact, initiative, prudence, and independent judgment within general policy, procedural, and legal guidelines; Communicate effectively both orally and in writing with technical and non-technical audiences; Maintain strict confidentiality of data and information processed; Interpret, apply, explain, and ensure compliance with Federal, State, and local policies, procedures, laws, rules, and regulations; Work with IT Managers and County department leaders to understand business requirements and help them understand how technology impacts business efficiency; Deal tactfully with the customer and staff in providing training, information and services, and establish and maintain effective working relationships; Work independently at various and remote sites throughout the County.
Support; Infrastructure & Operations; and Information Security. ITD resources are operated and maintained in a manner that
supports high availability for utilization and minimizes the risk of business interruption. ITD's focus is on developing a sustainable,
customer focused environment to enhance and improve the quality of technology services used by County departments for the
benefit of all Monterey County residents, businesses, and visitors.
County of Monterey, Information Technology Department