Position Summary: A County Waste Truck Driver is responsible for safely operating a front-, side-, or rear-loading truck, either manual-load or “auto-load” style trucks, and providing prompt, courteous and complete waste removal services for customers who reside on a designated route. In addition, a Residential Truck Driver is responsible for ensuring his or her vehicle is in compliance with the Company’s safety standards prior to operating the vehicle, ensures that all Company, state and federal regulations are adhered to at all times while operating the vehicle, and completes Driver Vehicle Reports (“DVRs”) on a daily basis to ensure that any vehicle defects are repaired in a timely manner.
Principal Responsibilities: • Perform complete pre- and post-operation inspection of the vehicle in accordance with Company policy to ensure tire pressure, fluid levels, safety equipment, gauges, and controls are in proper working order. Report any safety issues on standard reports.
- Safely operate his or her heavy truck along his or her designated route and to the disposal site; read route sheet, follow map and service each customer as identified on the route sheet or as assigned by the dispatcher and/or supervisor.
- Operate manual and/or automatic controls in accordance with Company safety policies and procedures to lift and load refuse, operate compactor and dispose of collected material at the designated facility.
- Courteously interact with all customers, dispatchers and others on a daily basis to ensure all customer routes are serviced in a timely and professional manner.
- Identify unsatisfactory waste containers and tag containers in accordance with applicable departmental procedures.
- Continuously monitor waste for evidence of unacceptable waste.
- Clean area around an accidental waste spill, ensuring adherence to all applicable safety standards and policies.
- Continuously monitor the condition of the vehicle to ensure it is operationally ready at all times to minimize down time; remove waste from the packer blade and truck body on each disposal trip.
- Complete required route/productivity sheets, DVRs and other reports, as required.
- Maintain adherence to required productivity standards for the department to ensure all customers are serviced in a timely and efficient manner.
- Follow all required safety policies and procedures.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature of work performed by this position, and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills.
Preferred Qualifications: • Two years of prior experience driving heavy commercial trucks.
- Class A Commercial Driver’s License.
Minimum Qualifications: • Class B or higher Commercial Driver’s license with air brakes endorsement
- Must be able to repeatedly lift and empty waste and recycling containers up to 50 pounds.
Other Knowledge, Skills & Abilities: • Good customer services skills to meet and exceed customer expectations; acts in a professional, courteous and cooperative manner toward customers and co-workers; works with a sense of honesty and trustworthiness.
- Good time management skills to ensure assigned responsibilities are completed in an efficient and safe manner.
- Good follow through ability; adheres to work schedule and follows through on challenges as they arise.
- Ability to adhere to Company policies and rules set forth; promotes the Company’s safety standards; does not take inappropriate risks.