Art and Archival Collections Manager
Cosmos Club Washington, DC
- Posted: over a month ago
Are you detail oriented and organized?
Are you passionate about art and history?
Are you excited to help a revered DC institution prepare for its 150th anniversary celebration?
If you answered yes, please know that Cosmos Club is seeking an Art and Archival Collections Manager to manage the Club's collection of fine and decorative art and archives.
Cosmos Club is looking for team members who believe in the impact of kindness and the power of teamwork. We strive to provide our members and guests an atmosphere of warmth, dignity, and elegance. If you would like to be a part of our mission, check out the position below!
Summary: The Art and Archival Collections Manager provides curatorial, exhibitions, and collections management expertise to the Art Committee and Club Management. The position is responsible for managing and supporting all aspects of the Club's collection of fine and decorative art, its rigorous exhibitions schedule, and acts as point-of-contact on all matters pertaining to art at the Club. In addition, the position assists the Librarian and Head of Collections Management with the management of the Club's archives.
- Coordinates the quarterly rotation, installation and closing of exhibitions at the Club
- Attends and facilitates monthly meetings of the Art Committee
- Conducts research on art provenance, history, value, and repair costs as needed
- Responds to research requests or inquiries from Club members or visitors regarding the Club's collection of fine and decorative art
- Provides staff support upon request to the History Committee by reporting on the care and management of the institutional archives, researching historic events and materials, and presenting findings and recommendations on the preservation and maintenance of the records
- Assists and advises researchers who receive permission to review archival records of the Club
- Provides support to the Club's programming initiatives, including the upcoming Sesquicentennial celebration
Please note this job description is not a comprehensive list of duties, responsibilities, or tasks that may be required for this position. Employees will have many opportunities other than those listed. Any questions regarding essential functions of this position may be asked at the time of contact.
- Full-time position
- 401k and healthcare benefits included
- Expertly crafted shift meals
- Rate of pay will commensurate with experience
- Generous paid time off policy and holiday pay
- Opportunities to participate in company picnics, educations, contests, and more!
Qualifying Experience and Education:
- Degree in art history or related field
- Master's degree or working towards one in Art History preferred
- Experience in a museum or equivalent, in particular with the management of art collections and the coordination and installation of exhibitions of fine and decorative art preferred
- Experience in record management or archival work desirable
- Proficiency with PastPerfect Museum software and/or SmartSearch software desirable
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in the installation of museum exhibitions
- Knowledge of proper art handling and storage techniques
- Strong research skills and ability to perform scholarly research on works in the collection or exhibitions
- Ability to meet deadlines and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to interact respectfully, collegially, and professionally with all employees and Club members
- Ability to maintain the highest ethics as they relate to all aspects of curatorial endeavor, and to understand and maintain the highest levels of confidentiality
*Proof of vaccination will be required for in-person interviews prior to entering our facilities. Reasonable accommodations are made on a case-by-case basis.
Job Posted by ApplicantPro
GovernmentView all jobs at Cosmos Club