A large CPA firm in Atlanta is seeking an experienced Tax Controversy Manager for a full-time, direct hire opportunity.
Responsibilities of this position include:
- Assist client and client service team with management of IRS and state audits, including responding to Information Document Requests, Notices of Proposed Adjustments, and other exam related matters.
- Interact closely with clients and interface on their behalf with federal and state taxing authorities.
- Research various tax matters and draft technical memoranda to support tax return reporting positions relating to IRS Information Document Requests, Notices of Proposed Adjustments, Protests of Proposed Examination Changes, Private Letter Rulings, and penalty abatement requests.
- Manage and implement multiple projects simultaneously, which include client interviews, analysis, data gathering, and coordination of company and client resources.
- Supervise, develop, and mentor junior staff members by providing them with leadership, counselling, and professional guidance.
- Develop and expand new business relationships with potential clients and company personnel to grow the company’s client base and work to foster on-going efforts to obtain additional opportunities for the Firm.
In addition, the skills and qualifications needed include:
- At least seven (7) years of experience with the Internal Revenue Service or seven (7) years of public accounting experience with a focus on tax controversy.
- An active CPA license.
- Strong understanding of the operations of the IRS, its procedures and processes, including extensive working knowledge of the IRS Integrated Data Retrieval System (“IDRS”).
- Tax research including the ability to research and understand the IRS methods of account resolution, desk guides, and the Internal Revenue Manual (“IRM”).
- Professional demeanor and strong communication skills, both written and oral.
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of management.
We offer access to highly experienced professionals in accounting/finance, analytics, business services, human resources, information technology, legal, marketing, project management, strategy and other specialized disciplines.