Social Worker (Adults)
- Posted: February 21, 2023
Make a life changing decision.
Cornwall is a fantastic place to live and work.
Adult social care in Cornwall is changing. We're looking for innovators to join us in developing a 'best-in-class' Adult Social Care model. You're a passionate, talented professional, and a strong advocate of independence and reablement. That's why you live the person-centred care approach and put people's views and wishes at the heart of any decisions you make. You're also resilient, determined and trustworthy, seeking out feedback and challenge. You promote self-learning and keep your knowledge and skills up to date, working to Adult Social Care practice standards in line with the national Professional Capability Framework. Sharing your information and expertise, you can help others in your team grow and achieve their goals.
Our health partners are creating a community intervention offer jointly with us. This means that we have the chance to develop within a multi-disciplinary context, share information and together deliver better outcomes. Opportunities exist around the new pathways supporting people to be safely discharged from hospital. Working with and across our primary care networks, we are finding better options to provide the wrap around care that helps people to stay safe and supported at home and keep them in their community at end of life.
Cornwall has a Net Zero carbon strategy to reflect our priories and responses to the climate emergency. Carbis Bay in the West of the County will host world leaders at this summer's G7 meeting. We have all the challenges associated with being a destination for holidays and retirement and also significant contrasts between the very well off and communities that rely on the local food bank.
If you think that rurality is a slower pace, think again. If you think that you won't have a good work life balance, think again. These are exciting roles and the rewards could be tremendous, both professionally and personally. This is your chance to make a difference in people's lives in one of the most beautiful places in the UK. Join us, and you'll be part of a welcoming, committed team with supportive new leadership.
We have opportunities for passionate, committed Social Workers in our multi-disciplinary teams across Cornwall in both full and part time roles, including:
- ASC Locality Teams - Mid, East & West Cornwall
- Community Hospitals / Discharge to Access - Mid Cornwall
- RCHT Hospital Team - Mid/East Cornwall
Please let us know in your application if you are seeking full/part time roles and which teams you are most interested in. Please note that this is a rolling recruitment programme and the vacancies may change during the advertising period.
You will be a social worker registered with Social Work England who will have:
- Expert knowledge and experience of relevant legislation, social work theory, policy and principles and evidence of these in your practice.
- Previous experience of working in a social care environment with a proven track record of excellent strengths-based practice.
- Ability to undertake, analyse and translate complex assessments of need, risks, and strengths.
- Proficiency at recognising and responding to behaviour that may indicate resistance to change, ambivalent or selective cooperation with services, and recognise when there is a need for immediate action. You will be able to deliver difficult messages.
- Ability to form strong professional relationships with other partners within a multi-disciplinary setting.
- A high level of written and verbal communication skills.
Should your experience as a social worker be within another sector (such as Children's Social Care or the Voluntary sector), we provide additional support to transition into adult social work through a supported induction period.
If you're inspired to make a vital contribution to adults services in one of the most beautiful parts of the country, we'd love to hear from you.
What we offer
As part of our commitment to outstanding practice, we have created a new role of Chief Social Worker who, as Principal Social Worker (PSW), is working with our teams to develop a new career and qualification pathway for our social workers. This will develop their knowledge and skills to deliver the most effective social work intervention for the people who need our support.
We enable our practitioners to progress and reward them for their commitment and expertise. If you seek continuing professional development, can demonstrate learning in your practice and in improved outcomes for the people you help and protect, we will provide you with the career options and remuneration that match your expertise.
Cornwall is one of the best places in the country to live, work and bring up a family. We prioritise the wellbeing of our staff and recognise that resilient Social Workers need a good work/life balance as well as clear leadership and support in the workplace. Cornwall's location and landscape offers unique opportunities for a healthier, happier way of life.
In recognition of the vital contribution you make, we offer an attractive package of benefits including:
- A competitive starting salary, and the opportunity to increase your pay further as you progress
- A generous relocation package
- Welcome bonus of 4000 for qualified Social Workers who are new to social work in Cornwall and have completed their ASYE
- Induction designed to meet your specific needs and learning
- A developing career and qualification pathway that will support your progression.
- Dedicated Practice Educators
- Regular case and reflective supervision
- An ambitious new management and leadership
- 24 days paid annual leave per year (rising with length of service), plus bank holidays
- Flexible working opportunities, including part-time hours and homeworking
- A license to access Research in Practice.
- Payment of your Social Work England registration fees.
- Sponsorship for eligible overseas social work applicants
This position will be subject to an enhanced criminal record disclosure check. Cornwall Council is committed to safeguarding and following safer recruitment principles to help make sure our staff and volunteers are suitable to work with children, young people and adults at risk. It's a vital part of creating a safe and positive environment and making a commitment to keeping all service users safe from harm.
This is a public/customer-facing role, where the statutory English language requirement for public sector workers applies.
We are happy to talk about flexible working options.
More information about our social work careers is available here.
More information about working for Cornwall Council is available here.
For an informal discussion please contact the Resourcing Team firstname.lastname@example.org who will arrange for you to speak to a relevant manager.
Fairness and inclusion are at the heart of our vision for Cornwall. In order to best serve our communities, we are striving to achieve a diverse workforce that is inclusive of all backgrounds, cultures and identities; e.g. race, disability, sex, gender, age, religion and sexual orientation. We are an equal opportunities and Disability Confident employer, and we will assess applicants on their merits.
Whilst the location/work-base for this role has been specified, our evolving ways of working means that the role may require you to also work remotely (e.g. from home/other locations). We will discuss this with you during the recruitment process.
Please view the role profile for the level you are applying for:
Grade 3 Social Worker (Adults)
Grade 4 Social Worker (Adults)
Your application will need to demonstrate how you meet the required criteria. Please ensure you answer all of the pre-screening questions in full, within the application form. Guidance on how to complete your application can be found here - The application process
Please be advised that for this role we are accepting uploaded supporting statements and CVs to support your online application.Additional Information
- Interview Dates: 17th April 2023
- External Closing Date: 27 Mar 2023
- Advertised Salary Range: 31,698 - 41,703
- Job Type/Contract Type: Permanent & Fixed Term
- Hours per week: Full and Part Time
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?