Principal Social Worker (Children's)
- Expired: January 12, 2023. Applications are no longer accepted.
Social Work in Cornwall
Make a difference - Children's Social Work in Cornwall
'Cornwall's ambitious, outward-facing senior leadership team promotes a strong culture of learning and development. It has made excellent use of learning from research, best practice and peer reviews.'
'Social workers have a very good understanding of the children they work with; they visit them regularly and ensure that their needs are holistically well considered'
'Staff development is delivered through an effective and well-targeted workforce development framework. Staff morale is high.'
OFSTED 2019 - OUTSTANDING GRADING
Social workers make a real difference to the lives of children in Cornwall. We believe that the children of Cornwall deserve the very best. We put their needs at the heart of everything we do and we are looking for people who share our determination to improve their lives and make a brighter future. If you believe in humane, relationship-based social work with children and families we offer the opportunity to develop your social work career in an innovative and ambitious children's service in one of the most beautiful parts of the country.
As part of our commitment to outstanding practice, we have put in place a comprehensive core curriculum and career and qualification pathway for our social workers to develop their knowledge and skills to deliver the most effective social work intervention with children and families. If you are committed to continuing professional development, can demonstrate learning in your practice and in improved outcomes for the children you help and protect, we will provide you with the career options and remuneration that match your expertise.
We actively encourage the best practitioners to remain in front line practice, and reward them for their commitment and expertise. The Principal Social Worker role is one of two Advanced Practitioner roles in Cornwall, aligned to the Professional Capabilities Framework, and the Knowledge and Skills Statement for Practice Supervisors. Principal Social Workers are directly involved in practice, holding a small caseload, supervising practitioners, facilitating team-based learning and deputising for the Team Manager.
We have exciting opportunities for full time Principal Social Workers available across the County.
The Principal Social Workers role requires significant experience of evidence based practice with children and families and significant expertise in evidence based practice. For these reasons, the salary scale for our Advanced Practitioners is the same as for our Team Managers.
Cornwall is one of the best places in the country to live, work and bring up a family. We are committed to supporting the wellbeing of our staff and we recognise that resilient Social Workers need a good work/life balance as well as supportive leadership and support in the workplace. Cornwall's location and landscape offers unique opportunities for a healthier, happier way of life.
What we can offer you
In recognition of the vital contribution you make, we offer an attractive package of benefits including:
- A competitive starting salary, equivalent to a Team Manager
- A generous relocation package
- Welcome bonus of 4000 for qualified Social Workers who are new to social work in Cornwall and have completed their ASYE
- An individualised induction to meet your specific needs and learning
- An outstanding core curriculum to support your ongoing development with a high quality programme of evidence-based learning and development to enhance skills and practice.
- An outstanding career and qualification pathway, recognised by Ofsted, which will support your progression.
- Support from our dedicated Practice Educators throughout your progression pathway
- Regular, high quality case and reflective supervision
- Supportive management and leadership
- Support to access temporary accommodation if moving from outside of Cornwall
- Access to a Cornwall Council lease car
- 24 days paid annual leave per year (rising with length of service), plus bank holidays
- Flexible working opportunities, including part-time hours and homeworking
- A license to access Community Care Inform and Research in Practice.
- Payment of your Social Work England registration fees.
- Sponsorship for eligible overseas social work applicants
This position will be subject to an enhanced criminal record disclosure check. Cornwall Council is committed to safeguarding and following safer recruitment principles to help make sure our staff and volunteers are suitable to work with children, young people and adults at risk. It's a vital part of creating a safe and positive environment and making a commitment to keeping all service users safe from harm.
This is a public/customer-facing role, where the statutory English language requirement for public sector workers applies.
We are happy to talk about flexible working options.
More information about our social work careers is available here.
More information about working for Cornwall Council is available here.
For an informal discussion please contact the Resourcing Team firstname.lastname@example.org who will arrange for you to speak to a relevant manager.
Fairness and inclusion are at the heart of our vision for Cornwall. In order to best serve our communities, we are striving to achieve a diverse workforce that is inclusive of all backgrounds, cultures and identities; e.g. race, disability, sex, gender, age, religion and sexual orientation. We are an equal opportunities and Disability Confident employer, and we will assess applicants on their merits.
Whilst the location/work-base for this role has been specified, our evolving ways of working means that the role may require you to also work remotely (e.g. from home/other locations). We will discuss this with you during the recruitment process.
Please view the Role Profile (Principal Social Worker)
Your application will need to demonstrate how you meet the required criteria. Please ensure you answer all of the pre-screening questions in full, within the application form. Guidance on how to complete your application can be found here - The application process
Please be advised that for this role we are accepting uploaded supporting statements and/or CVs to support your online application.Additional Information
- Interview Dates: 23rd February 2023
- External Closing Date: 8 Feb 2023
- Advertised Salary Range: 41,704 - 50,300 (+Welcome bonus)
- Job Type/Contract Type: Permanent
- Hours per week: 37
Get fresh Children Social Worker jobs daily straight to your inbox!