Dryer Process & Equipment Engineer
- Please wait...
Date: Nov 26, 2019
Location: Christiansburg, VA, US, 24073
Requisition Number: 39341
Corning is one of the world's leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertiseinspecialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people's lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Corning's Environmental Technologies segment manufactures ceramic substrates and filter products for emissions control in mobile and stationary applications around the world.
Scope of Position: Equipment and process leader for the Celcor drying technology. Support manufacturing with daily operational problems through hands-on troubleshooting and process improvements using root cause analysis and corrective measures. Lead process development initiatives to improve existing products and manufacturing processes and introduce new manufacturing and engineering business processes to the Blacksburg site. Support the daily response to operational upsets and champion long-term solutions and systems improvements to enhance the safety, quality, productivity, and reliability of Blacksburg manufacturing systems. Act as a Core Team Leader or Core Team Member on selected projects. Provide site technical leadership in assigned processes, report progress on technology initiatives, and develop documentation and best work practices to ensure quality, safety and regulatory compliance. Identify and implement engineering projects to maintain and enhance manufacturing operations. This position works closely with operations management, functional leaders, maintenance and engineers.
- Quickly respond to production and process upsets, troubleshoot production issues, diagnose problems, and implement corrective action (machine fix, process change, etc.) to reestablish operations.
- Train maintenance and operations personnel on processes and machinery to transfer knowledge and ensure operational efficiency and product quality.
- Provide technical leadership in assigned processes. Act to continuously improve and expand the site's core process capabilities. Act to continuously improve overall plant performance through project identification and completion.
- Identify and implement modifications to production equipment and processes to improve overall equipment efficiency (OEE) by improving process yield, improving production rate, and improving machine availability.
- Gain process expertise through training and experimentation then apply process expertise to develop robust manufacturing systems.
- Collaborate with operations leadership, engineering and maintenance to improve safety, quality, yield and productivity in the production environment.
- Act to continually improve operations processes through projects, experimentation, designs, and process enhancements.
- Plan, specify, and implement process improvements, machine modifications and tooling improvements.
- Proactively collaborate with other engineers and operations personnel to ensure that written specifications and designs meet business needs and best practices.
- Develop, debug, and troubleshoot existing and new manufacturing processes.
- Determine and document optimum production process parameters.
- Apply engineering and process knowledge to improve plant and manufacturing processes.
- Complete capital and non-capital projects to improve production processes as required.
- <10% as required
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time:
- This position supports a 24/7 manufacturing operation.
- Must respond to off-hours calls to resolve manufacturing process upsets or plant systems downtime events. Occasionally must flex working schedule as required to meet business needs.
Required Education and Experience:
- BS Electrical Engineering or related field
- Minimum of 3+ years of experience in an engineering or technical role in manufacturing.
- Ability to transfer and integrate new technology into a manufacturing environment including process startup and technical knowledge transfer.
- Sound troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of electrical and mechanical systems.
- Experience in leading projects.
- Track record of achieving results which have a significant impact on operational cost.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, communication, documentation, and presentation skills.
- Hands on experience solving technical problems and driving improvements in manufacturing process capability, machine reliability and equipment output.
- Experience with computer software applications including Pi, Excel, Word
- Work experience in Ceramic manufacturing with a background in drying technologies, ceramic extrusion, HMI and material handling systems desired.
- Proven ability to utilize influence to drive change. Able to navigate in ambiguous situations. Able to network effectively across organizational boundaries. Able to work collaboratively with manufacturing, maintenance, engineering, operations, plant leadership, other functional leaders and other functional group members.
Soft Skills (Communication/Team/Leadership):
- Must be proactive and display a collaborative work style.
- Actively seeks improvement and demands excellence of self and others.
- Self-motivated, self-directed, and resourceful.
- Action oriented, detail oriented, and results oriented.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Does what is right, treats others with respect, seeks continuous improvement, and takes personal responsibility.
- Responds positively to change and is flexible to accept assignments in support of overall site goals.
This position does not support immigration sponsorship.
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or veteran status or any other legally protected status.
Nearest Major Market: Blacksburg
Nearest Secondary Market: Virginia
- Please wait...