POSITION SUMMARYThe Residential Mentors serves as a model to children and adolescents while providing direct care basic need services to consumers who are challenged with behavioral, mental illness and substance abuse issues. In a staff secured PRTF (Psychiatric Residential Facility). The Residential Mentor supervises consumers while maintaining a therapeutic milieu environment to accomplish goals of person centered plans. TASKS
- Enforce rules and regulations to ensure the smooth and orderly operation of facility programs.
- Provide emergency first aid and summon medical assistance when necessary.
- Mediate interpersonal problems between residents.
- Make regular rounds to ensure that residents and areas are safe and secure.
- Observe consumers to detect and report unusual behavior.
- Communicate with other staff to resolve problems with individual consumers.
- Collaborate with counselors to develop counseling programs that address the needs of individual students.
- Customer and Personal Service- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language- knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Psychology- Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation.
- Active Listening — Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times. Social Perceptiveness — Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Service Orientation— actively looking for ways to help people. Stress Management - ability to maintain composure during intense incidents involving gross behaviors situations
- Speaking— Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Monitoring— monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Coordination— Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Critical Thinking— Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension— understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Judgment and Decision Making— Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Persuasion— Persuading others to change their minds or behavior
- Communicating with Supervisors, Peers, or Subordinates— providing information to supervisors, co-workers, telephone, in written form with detail note taking capability, e-mail, or in person.
- Assisting and Caring for Others-Providing personal assistance, emotional support, or other personal care to consumers.
- Resolving Conflicts and Negotiating with Others— Handling complaints, settling disputes, and resolving grievances and conflicts, or otherwise negotiating with others.
- Getting Information— Observing, receiving, and otherwise obtaining information from all relevant sources.
- Monitor Processes, Materials, or Surroundings— Monitoring and reviewing information from materials, events, or the environment, to detect or assess problems. Implementing Activities — ensuring implementation structured routine scheduled and activities and events .
- Dependability— Job requires being reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfilling obligations.
- Stress Tolerance— Job requires accepting criticism and dealing calmly and effectively with high stress situations.
- Adaptability/Flexibility— Job requires being open to change (positive or negative) and to considerable variety in the workplace.
- Self Control— Job requires maintaining composure, keeping emotions in check, controlling anger, and avoiding aggressive behavior, even in very difficult situations.
- Concern for Others— Job requires being sensitive to others' needs and feelings and being understanding and helpful on the job. Integrity —
- Cooperation— Job requires being pleasant with others on the job and displaying a good-natured, cooperative attitude.
- Persistence— Job requires persistence in the face of obstacles.
- High School diploma or equivalent plus two years of paid, voluntary or family behavior health experience OR Associate degree required.
- Flexibility to work any shift
- Oral and written communication skills
- Knowledge and skills in educating clients in daily living skills
- Observation and decision making skills
- Experience in implementing group activities helpful
- Willingness to use personal transportation in work capacity
- Knowledge of substance abuse / addiction issues or related work experience would be beneficial
The Physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Assists clients walking to and from activities
- Lifts and carries up to 25 pounds
- Safely loads and unloads consumers from vans
- Participates in group activities/yard games
- Climbs stairs and/or ladder
- Gets down on hands and knees
- Working hours rotate quickly
- Stand for long periods of time
- Satisfactory reference, DMV License and background investigation checks
- Satisfactory completion of a NC SBI criminal fingerprinting background check if a resident of NC for less than five years, at the time of hire and every four years for any employee that has direct contact with clients on a regular and continuing basis
- Satisfactory completion of assessment of child-adult relational and behavioral boundaries
- Completion of a pre-employment drug screening and completion of post-employment drug or alcohol tests upon reasonable suspicion of use
- Successful completion of five days pre placement training to successfully obtain certification in CPR First Aid, Crisis Prevention Intervention and other training mandates
- Must maintain a State of NC Driver's License with acceptable driving record
- Completion of new employee orientation and ALL required paperwork prior to reporting for work
- Attendance at all mandatory staff development & training Supervision meetings
- Participation in payroll electronic deposit
Pre-employment screening includes: Criminal background check, healthcare registry check, DMV check. 40 hours state mandated pre placement training required.
Pay Rate will be $10 per hour based upon experience
Job Type: Full-time
Cornerstone Treatment Facility