Are you an aspiring Tunnel Civil Inspector, looking for an opportunity to advance your career?
We are looking for a Tunnel Civil Inspector, to inspect the equipment, structures, and materials; gather and evaluate information to determine compliance with standards, read the gauges of the machines to ensure that the machines are functioning properly, while performing general physical activities for the construction of a heavy rail system in Los Angeles County.
The Tunnel Civil Inspector will contribute to building good communications between field management, project management, estimating, procurement, suppliers, vendors, and specialty contractors.
The person in this role will ensure construction complies with plans, specifications, and agency quality and safety standards and that the project is completed on time and within budget.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in maintaining, supporting, and promoting a safe work environment while complying with the Metro’s safety rules, policies, and procedures
- Coordinate preparation of inspection cost estimates and maintenance records
- Arrange, coordinate, and oversee technical inspections such as electrical, mechanical, landscaping, soil testing, concrete, and asphalt mixes, and reinforcing steel for conformance to specification requirements
- Coordinate Metro Test laboratory activities and compares verifications test results with the result from the Contractor’s laboratory
- Enforce policies, procedures, and related work rules as established by Field Management.
- Assist with compliance of the safety program that creates a safe and healthy work environment through the job site and adheres to OSHA safety and record-keeping requirements.
- Assist in obtaining approved designs and permits from utility companies for services to construction sites
- Prepare reports, as required, and keeps supervisors informed on the progress of overall assigned activities.
- Review construction methods, schedules, manning charts, materials, and equipment requirements.
- Ensure compliance with all internal and external record keeping requirements,
- Use a construction management system to perform record-keeping tasks including, composing daily diaries, maintaining project logs, and retrieving RFIs, submittal logs, and agreements.
- Provide assistance, to assigned contractors in scheduling issues.
Skills & Requirements
- Approximately ten (10) years of recent experience in Construction Management, of which at least five (5) years in Tunnel Inspection of large and complex engineering/construction projects
- Experience in two (2) projects or more of relevant, verifiable Tunneling projects
- This experience shall include:
- Verifiable Earth Pressure Balance or Slurry TBM (Tunnel Boring Machine) projects of diameter greater than 15 ft.
- This experience shall include:
- Full knowledge of Tunnel Inspection methods and Current Tunnel Construction techniques
- Construction Materials necessary to determine the quality and correct use in projects, and the safe working habits and regulations in relation to different phases of construction
- ICC Certificate of Reinforced Concrete or Masonry, ACI Registered Contraction Inspector License, comparable Deputy Inspection License for a county or city agency
- NICET certification or another alternative certification, from an acceptable nationally recognized organization, is highly desirable where applicable to Tunneling Inspection
- Cal-OSHA / OSHA 30-Hour safety certification prior to the start of work on the project
- Dependable -- more reliable than spontaneous
- People-oriented -- enjoys interacting with people and working on group projects
- Adaptable/flexible -- enjoy doing work that requires frequent shifts in direction
- Detail-oriented -- would rather focus on the details of work than the bigger picture
- Achievement-oriented -- enjoys taking on challenges, even if they might fail
- Autonomous/Independent -- enjoys working with little direction
- High-stress tolerance -- thrives in a high-pressure environment