If you are a problem solver, passionate about staying up to date on product knowledge and technical skills, we have the perfect job for you!
We are seeking a reliable Communications Engineer I, to join our team to provide professional engineering expertise in the oversight of the Federal Transportation Agency’s (FTA) funded capital transit projects.
The FTA is an organization of over 500 people, working to strengthen American communities, promote economic vitality, and maintain personal freedom through the development and support of public transportation.
The Communications Engineer I reviews project sponsors’ plans related to implementing electronic and communication facilities for the project as well as other supporting documentation to ensure that projects are being built safely, on budget, on schedule, within scope, and in conformance with applicable regulations and guidelines.
The person in this role serves as a technical resource and subject matter expert in communications on transit projects.
The Communications Engineer I, will develop best practices, refine operational procedures and constantly think proactively and inventively.
Some travel may be required and working remotely is optional.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure the projects are being built, in conformance with applicable regulations and guidelines
- Serve as a technical resource and expert in communications
- Review project sponsors’ plans related to implementing electronic and related communications systems
- Oversee planning, managing budgets, and schedules
- Manage supporting documentations
- Ensure agreeing project budgets, timescales and specifications with clients and managers are met
- Ensure that objectives and deadlines are met
- Write reports and documentation
- Liaise with suppliers, customers, directors and other teams of staff
Skills & Requirements
- Must have a Bachelor of Science (BS) Degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Telecommunications or equivalent degree
- Minimum of 12 years of experience in designing and implementing electronics and related communications systems
- At least 3- 6 years in passenger rail or related transportation modes
- Professional certifications CCNA and CCNP or equivalent
- PE or Professional Registration/Certification is preferred
- VMware and Microsoft Certifications as a plus
- Strong leadership, management, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Experience with a variety of networking protocols,
- Knowledge of Internet and Computing Technologies, Structured Cabling, Fiber Optic, Networks, LAN/WAN systems, and Intrusion Detection is desired.
- Strong attention to detail in analytical assessments; experienced in developing and maintaining high-quality reports and assessments.
- Proficient with Visio, Microsoft Office
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Aptitude to learn new material quickly