SUMMARY: The primary purpose of your position is to assist in the planning, organizing, development, and direction or the overall operation of the Nursing Services Department in accordance with the guidelines and regulations that govern the facility, and as may be directed by the Administrator to ensure that the highest degree of quality care is maintained at all times while delivering on the Eduro HealthCare Values of wellness, compassion, customer experience and company results.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
Adherence to Policies
· Must show courtesy and respect to other employees, residents, family members, visitors, government agencies, the general public, etc.
· Abide by Eduro HealthCare’s drug and alcohol policy.
· Maintain good personal hygiene and dress and groom appropriately.
- Report on time as scheduled and follow all company policies and procedures.
- Attend staff meetings and in-service sessions.
- Become thoroughly familiar with emergency procedures.
- Must be able to perform duties in a timely fashion, and within the prescribed sequences and schedules.
- Perform assigned tasks with a minimum of supervision and develop awareness for and a willingness to perform other tasks, as needed, without supervision.
· Must possess the ability to seek out new methods and principles and be willing to incorporate them into existing practices.
· Must be able to work "on call" (return to the care center at unscheduled hours and be available by phone if needed to solve problems). Must be willing to work beyond normal working hours, cover shifts for other employees that are on vacation, sick, etc., do shift work, and work holidays and weekends.
· Follow all established safety precautions when operating equipment, and report hazardous and defective equipment or conditions to your supervisor.
· Must be cooperative with other departments and be courteous and respectful in dealing with them at all times.
· Participate in and respond professionally to surveys (inspections) conducted by government agencies.
Under the direction of the Director of Nursing:
· Assume the authority, responsibility, and accountability necessary to carry out the duties of this department.
· Follow company budget guidelines.
· Order and monitor use of supplies and equipment minimizing waste and misuse.
· Maintain a reference library of written material, laws etc. necessary for complying with current standards and regulations.
· Complete paperwork requirements on schedule and in an accurate manner. Work with a minimum of error while paying attention to detail.
· Work with the Administration in planning for staff development programs that will upgrade the competency of the nursing staff.
· Participate in coordination of resident services through appropriate committees, such as: Resident Care Planning, Infection Control, Quality Assessment, Safety, Budget, Discharge Planning, Pharmaceutical and Medical Advisory.
· Interview and hire all new nursing service personnel, and provide current personnel with references as requested.
· Maintain good public relations and good interdepartmental relations.
· Take charge of the entire facility in the Director of Nursing, or the Administrator’s absence.
· Direct the functions, activities and in-service training of the nursing staff.
· Schedule adequate nursing coverage for all shifts and find qualified replacement personnel for nurses that are sick, on vacation, etc.
· Evaluate all nursing personnel for job performance and competency and encourage educational programs for continuing education through attendance at workshops, classes and in-service training.
· Direct the functions, activities, and in-service training of the nursing staff.
· When necessary, discipline and or recommend employees for termination in accordance with the employee handbook.
· Assist the Medical Director and individual attending physicians in assessing each resident and implementing a plan of care.
· Plan for the care of each resident upon discharge by working with the physician, family, social services department, and other health-related agencies as appropriate.
· Respect all resident rights, including the confidentiality of resident care information as well as the dignity of the resident at all times and attend to the personal comfort o the resident beyond required procedures.
· Report immediately to the Administrator and to the proper legal authorities if you have reason to believe a resident has been physically, emotionally, or sexually abused, or been a victim of theft of their personal property.
· Create and maintain an atmosphere of warmth, cheerfulness, enthusiasm, and love, giving the resident the quality of service you would want to receive personally. Reflect the four core values of Eduro Healthcare.
OTHER DUTIES include
· Instruct the nursing staff about the legal requirements of charting. Conduct open-chart audits, as needed. Ensure nurse notes are informative and descriptive of the care rendered. Include the resident response to treatment. Supervise closed-chart audits
· Review the medication system monthly for completeness of information, accuracy in the transcription of physician's orders, and adherence to stop-order policies.
· Teach and coordinate rehabilitative nursing care to promote and maintain optimal physical and mental functioning for the resident in accordance with the resident care plan.
· Ensure compliance with universal precautions, OSHA Bloodborne, Pathogen requirements, etc.
- Perform other related duties as may become necessary or as directed by the Director of Nursing or the Administrator.
- Assist in nursing as needed.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience
· Must have graduated from an accredited school of nursing and have a current license to practice as a Registered Nurse in the state of employment
· Must be able to read, write, speak, and understand English sufficiently to perform required duties.
· Must be able to follow verbal and written instructions in English.
· Bi-lingual skills welcome
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Completion of orientation required by company policy.
· Health screening and TB test within two weeks of employment.
· Mandatory drug test upon hire
· Must be free of criminal activity proven by a criminal background check.
· Become familiar with and comply to all local, state, and federal regulations relating to the job.
· Show within three (3) days of hire satisfactory evidence of identity and eligibility for employment.
· Be efficient with computer skills and typing, including the use of Microsoft Word, Excel and email.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
· Frequently move across facility.
· Must be able to rapidly assist in the evacuation of all residents from the building in case of emergency.
Must be able to operate the following equipment: fire extinguisher, blood pressure cuff, stethoscope, weight chair, Hoyer lift, thermometer, restraints, whirlpool bath, gait belt, and other equipment as needed.
· Must possess the ability to work in a wet or humid environment.
· Employee should be willing to work with body fluids, excretions, extreme odors, etc., while using universal precautions.
· Employee understand they may be subject to the exposure of infectious waste, diseases, conditions, etc., including the AIDS and Hepatitis B viruses.
· Must be able to relate to and work with the ill, disabled, elderly, emotionally upset, and, at times, hostile people within the facility.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Eduro Healthcare provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.