Director of Development and Marketing
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
The director of development and marketing (director) is a unique opportunity for a dynamic leader to build on the Chronicle Season of Sharing Fund’s strong base of support and community partnerships to elevate the organization to even greater impact. Over the last 36 years, the Chronicle Season of Sharing Fund has provided a critical lifeline to thousands of individuals and families so they can keep a roof over their heads, put food on their tables and address other critical needs. Fundraising has been primarily accomplished through the San Francisco Chronicle’s annual newspaper campaign and the generosity of its readers.
The Chronicle Season of Sharing Fund is seeking a director who will excel at campaign planning and execution, donor cultivation and stewardship, partnership development, and implementation of innovative fundraising strategies. An ideal candidate will have executive-level fundraising experience; a proven record of setting and meeting fundraising goals; exceptional communication, fundraising, and networking skills; and a solid background in digital and social media marketing, and an understanding of how social media and marketing can drive an increase in the donor base. This role requires a leader with a collaborative, entrepreneurial spirit, and a deep commitment to serving the Bay Area’s most vulnerable residents.
The director is part of a small, but mighty team of staff and consultants, and reports directly to the executive director. There is a development coordinator/database admin who works directly with the director and provides some support for the executive director.
- Ensure that the annual Chronicle Season of Sharing Fund campaign is executed efficiently while continuing year-round stewardship of the loyal donor base and personalized engagement of major donors.
- Create fundraising and marketing strategies that will attract new and diversified donors and expand the existing donor base and gifts received by enhancing existing channels of outreach and developing new ones.
- Explore opportunities presented by digital media and new technologies to expand donor outreach and raise general awareness.
- Oversee development assistant’s work in their role of providing fundraising, social media, and marketing support.
- Create, market, and implement a planned giving program.
- Work with development assistant on donor data entry, reconciliation, and donor recognition and acknowledgements.
- Manage foundation and corporate grant pipeline, LOIs and proposal writing, tracking and reporting.
- With the executive director, guide the engagement of the board of directors, our founding partners, and additional key stakeholders and vendors in implementing fundraising campaign and strategies.
- Recruit champions and enlist partners to share the vision and mission with the broader community.
- Oversee development forecasting and analytical activities.
- Help set and meet annual fundraising goal.
Brand and External Communications
- Protect and steward the well-respected brand that the Chronicle Season of Sharing Fund has built over 36 years through a commitment to efficiency, community impact and adherence to the highest ethical standards.
- Continue to build the Chronicle Season of Sharing Fund brand by designing and piloting innovative marketing, fundraising, and communications approaches.
- Work closely with the Chronicle as the primary media partner to maximize channels of communication and achieve campaign goals.
- Oversee a marketing strategy that increases visibility through multiple avenues, including relationship building, targeted messaging, content creation, media releases, and social media.
- Manage the gathering and sharing of impact stories through coordination with community service providers.
- Explore new partnerships and event opportunities to expand the Chronicle Season of Sharing Fund exposure and enhance awareness of its mission.
- Partner with the executive director in maintaining and building strong and respectful working relationships with the leadership and staff of both the San Francisco Chronicle and the Evelyn and Walter Haas, Jr. Fund, co-founders and supporting partners with Chronicle Season of Sharing Fund for more than 36 years.
- Build strong and respectful working relationships with Chronicle Season of Sharing Fund’s County partners and other community leaders across the nine Bay Area counties who are critical to the program’s success.
- Work collaboratively with staff and consultants through organizational and operational changes in support of strategic goals.
- Share best practices with colleagues and direct reports.
- 5 + years of experience in a senior-level development and/or marketing role with significant fundraising responsibilities.
- Experience working with a diverse array of individuals, partners, and communities, including social service providers, public agencies, nonprofit partners, and corporate and individual donors.
- Established relationships with philanthropists, foundations, and individual donors.
- Planned giving, major gifts, corporate and foundation grant experience required.
- Individual major gifts experience required.
- Strong networking and social skills, plus a determination to sustain existing relationships and build new ones by pursuing referrals and networking.
- Track record of successfully planning and executing development strategies that secure support from a diverse set of donors, including individual donors — ideally, with expertise in campaign execution and digital outreach strategies.
- Ability to see the big picture and think strategically while also being able to execute tactical tasks.
- Willingness to embrace innovation and technology, and test and learn approaches to work.
- Experience working with Raiser’s Edge and/or other donor CRMs.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Suite applications.
- Strong communications capabilities with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Capacity to work independently and under general supervision.
- Passion and dedication to the mission of Chronicle Season of Sharing Fund.
- BA required; equivalent experience considered.
SALARY OR SALARY RANGE
Chronicle Season of Sharing Fund offers a competitive salary and benefits package. The salary range for this role is $115,000 - $130,000.
Health - organization covers 85% of medical/Employee covers 15% for medical, dental and vision plans
PTO – staff accrues 20 days in the first year, 25 in the second and 30 in the fourth
Twelve Paid Holidays
Simple IRA - organization matches employee contribution up to 3 percent
This position is based in the San Francisco Bay Area. Offices are fully remote, although, there are periodic in-person meetings.
The position requires that the successful candidate be in the SF Bay Area and working periodically in office during the months of September, October, November, December, and January, when the campaign is at its peak. This is non-negotiable. Position can operate remotely for extended periods during other months of the year.
Cook Silverman Search - Chronicle Season of Sharing Fund
AddressSan Francisco, CA
BusinessView all jobs at Cook Silverman Search - Chronicle Season of Sharing Fund