The Divisional Director of Pharmacy Service provides overall vision, strategy, planning, development,
implementation, supervision, execution and administrative leadership for Pharmacy service line within
West Florida Division. Maintains a comprehensive and long-range systematic view of the Enterprise
strategic plan and constantly ensures integrity and development of new business opportunities to improve
the health and wellness of the patients and families served by West Florida Divisional campuses. Leads
implementation of pharmacy business operations and clinical models of care focusing on provision of the
highest quality care at the most appropriate pharmaceutical expense. Ensures excellence in terms of
quality, safety, service, regulatory, compliance affordability and technology. Maintains productive
relationships within all WFD campuses. Provides reports of pharmacy performance and initiatives to
executive leadership and advocates for continued service improvements to leaders and clinicians.
Provides oversight of all Pharmacy services to all WFD campus pharmacy departments and effectively
works with site pharmacy directors to help achieve overall goals and objectives of the entire division.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
Demonstrates, through behavior, Advent Health’s core values of Integrity, Compassion, Balance,
Excellence, Stewardship, and Teamwork
• Oversees, develops and communicates pharmacy service line strategic planning that reflect the
objectives of providing excellent care for patients in cost effective manner. Sets performance
standards by establishing a comprehensive and balanced key performance indicator to drive
and sustain the positive changes.
• Establishes a methodology for continuous analysis and improvement of clinical and business
operations improvement activities. Reports the progress, challenges, and strategic solutions
regularly to the appropriate executive forums.
• Provides oversight responsibility to the site pharmacy directors to ensure that effective
pharmacy programs are in place and processes are standardized by adopting best practices in
business and clinical program development, quality improvement, patient satisfaction across
the WFD. Develops and maintains policies and procedures to support these practices.
• Oversees pharmacy financial planning and fiscal performance. Collaborates with facility
pharmacy directors to establish and meet savings targets. In conjunction with facility and
pharmacy leadership, as well as Division executive leadership, works to determine optimal
organizational structure, operating costs and allocation of resources. Works with stakeholders
on annual budget development for the facility pharmacy departments as needed.
• Develops and maintains clinical pharmacy programs designed to maximize patient outcomes
and cost effectiveness.
• Leads WFD Formulary and Therapeutics Committee efficiently and effectively to promote the
efficacious, safe and cost-effective use of medications within the Division Works with
pharmacy directors to ensure successful implementation of decisions with medical and clinical
staff. Ensure that agendas are prepared in a timely manner and reviewed with the Chairperson
of the Committee prior to the meeting whenever necessary.
• Participates in and contributes to applicable management and professional committees inside
and outside of the WFD campuses. Keep informed of trends and best practices related to
pharmacy practice and work with facilities to ensure compliance.
• Actively promotes team building and employee engagement, patient satisfaction, and a culture
of safety for employees and patients.
• Assures that drug shortages are effectively managed, and that medical staff participate in
shortage management discussions.
• Oversight of 340B and Drug Replacement programs to ensure regulatory compliance and
stewardship of annual cost savings. Works with AdventHealth 340B Steering Committee to
understand and comply with all Corporate 340B requirements and policies.
• Recruits, selects and retains highly qualified pharmacy leadership and professionals. Provide
the leadership necessary to maintain a motivated, productive and highly skilled team through
open communication and delegation of responsibilities and authority. Guides and directs
subordinates in their personal and professional development.
• Ensures a comprehensive pharmacy staff member competencies and performance evaluation
program and establishes needed educational program to close any gaps.
• Actively engages with Advent Health IT leadership to standardize pharmacy processes and
practices by optimizing the information technologies.
• Provide support for the campus Pharmacy post-graduate (PGY-1 and PGY-2) residency
training programs if applicable.
• Performs other duties as assigned or directed to ensure the smooth operation of the Pharmacies.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
• Strong organizational skills, with the ability to focus detailed concentrated effort to multiple projects
and re-establish priorities as necessary. Ability to effectively respond to time sensitive issues and
• Abilities to work in a matrix-management environment to achieve organizational goals
• Shows outstanding written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to tailor message to
individuals and audiences throughout the institution from senior executives to front line staff.
• Superior interpersonal skills.
• Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Ability to strategically and operationally lead and/or facilitate pharmacy service performance
improvement teams and projects from conception through completion across several hospitals
• Excel in balancing financial resource with desired clinical outcomes to ensure care delivery in an
effective, efficient and safe manner.
• Effective computer skills, particularly Microsoft Office Suite, Pharmacy Effective computer skills,
particularly Microsoft Office Suite, Pharmacy EMR system, Theradoc, Pyxis and other applicable
database management applications.
• Capability to work independently (self-direction), while thriving in a setting requiring collaboration
and teamwork for maximal efficiency and effectiveness.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS PREFERRED:
• Knowledge of current issues in the healthcare environment preferred, particularly regarding the best
practices in clinical pathway and regular compliance, healthcare quality measurement, outcomes
studies, and patient safety.
• Four (4) years system pharmacy leadership, with oversight of an integrated health care delivery
system (three or more hospitals in system).
• Six (6) years of pharmacy practice experience in large acute care setting.
• Demonstrates successful tracking of records in acute care pharmacy service, quality, regulatory
compliance and financial improvements and that positively impacts on patient care and experience as
well as organizational efficiency and value proposition.
• Three (3) years system pharmacy leadership, with oversight of a tertiary or a large academic medical
center (>500 beds).
• Extensive working experience in clinical pharmacy management arena.
• Knowledge and demonstrated successes related to hospital wide throughput efficiency.
• Knowledge in Pharmacy contracting and 340B program management.
• Graduate of an accredited College pf Pharmacy with a Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD)
• Master of Health Administration, Master of Business Administration; Pharmacy Administration, or
other advanced degree in pharmacy or healthcare leadership
• American Society of Health-System (ASHP) accredited Pharmacy Practice Residency or
• PGY2 Specialty Residency or Fellowship
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION, OR REGISTRATION REQUIRED:
• State of Florida licensure of Pharmacist
• State of Florida licensure of Consultant Pharmacist
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION, OR REGISTRATION PREFERRED:
• Board certification from the Board of Pharmacy Specialties (BCPS)
The above statements reflect the general duties and responsibilities necessary to describe the principal functions of
the job, as identified, and shall not be considered an exhaustive list of job responsibilities which may be inherent in
the job. Responsibilities are subject to change.