Contemporaries is a staffing firm working closely with a Mortgage firm located in Rockville, MD. They are currently looking to add an Underwriter to their team on a permanent basis. They are focused on delivering superior customer experiences and take pride in helping people achieve their dream of owning a home. The main function of this position will be to minimize potential risk by consistently reviewing, in detail, processed loan applications submitted to Apex in a timely and professional manner.
- Review of the loan applications will require DU/LP or investor automated underwriting input and exception. Effectively communicate file status (approvals, declines, suspense and conditions) in a timely and professional manner.
- Maintain product knowledge of FHA/VA processing and underwriting product matrixes within software systems.
- Maintain current guidelines for appraisal review and regulations.
- Underwrite 2 to 4 files per day, in accordance with underwriting authority and adhere with company turn times.
- Prepare internal communication between external underwriting source and processors.
- Work with Quality Control, Secondary, and Shipping to ensure the highest quality of file output.
- Assist to clear all investor purchase conditions.
- Clear all conditions on files with 48 hours of receipt.
- Must follow company Policies & Procedures and keep abreast of current FHA/VA, FNMA. FHLMC, RESPA, HMDA, Patriots Act, and investor’s criteria, which impact the decision making process.
- Report any suspicious activity within file review.
- Decline files within regulatory time frames and in accordance with regulations for ECOA.
- Provide back up for closing and post-closing, as needed.
- Filing of miscellaneous documents.
- DE status and prior FHA underwriting experience required.
- Recent experience working in a paperless environment.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in the mortgage industry.
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills.
- General understanding of mortgage banking systems.
- Detail oriented.
- Excellent computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel and Word).
- Working knowledge of Encompass required.